cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Record, can you get an auto loan?

tag
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Public Record, can you get an auto loan?

Has anyone gotten a loan with a public record?  Mine's unpaid rom 2004 for just 600 dollars.  I have 660 FICO at the moment and I need a new car.  Can I get a loan anywhere?

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jmontes77029
New Contributor

Re: Public Record, can you get an auto loan?

My sister obtained an auto loan with public record (eviction). With a down payment I do not see why you wouldn't be approved, but keep in mind we need a little more credit background to make a assumption.

Starting Score: 603 4/3/2011
Current Score: 633 6/02/2011
Goal Score: 750

Message 2 of 6
elzgarland
Valued Member

Yes you can get a car loan with a public record on your credit report. I just bought a new car with a public record from 2007 on my report and didn't have any problem getting approved. My CS at the time was 654. It will also depend on other factors on your report and the terms may not be as favorable, but it can be done. Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the comforting reply.  Was it paid or unpaid?  If unpaid, how long had it been paid off for?

THANKS!!!!

Message 4 of 6
elzgarland
Valued Member

It is unpaid, an old credit card that my ex-husband had (long story),  amount $7,000. My local credit union was very good to me, I got financed at 8.4%. I highly recommend credit unions, they can really help you out!

Message 5 of 6
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

WOW!!  That's great news.  I just paid mine off as a matter of fact.  I'm also paying off all the credit cards, so I'm thinking the util will be round 15% when I apply, right now it's at 85% so that should raise my score around 40-60 points and with the paid status hopefully it will put me in good shape for a loan.  I'm sitting around 660 right now.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.