Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing vehicle in August

tag
yosh

Purchasing vehicle in August

Hello all, I have a question regarding my credit and purchasing a vehicle:

I will be purchasing a vehicle in late August. My credit scores are in my sig. I currently have 0% util. on my credit cards. The only debt I have is an installment student loan with about $5000. I had some financial difficulties 2-3 years back which is why my scores are a little low. I had several charged off accounts which have been all paid in full. I do have one account which is still showing an unpaid balance which I am in the process of disputing with each agency. Hopefully once that is removed my scores will bump up a little.

I am looking to purchase a vehicle in the area of $22,000. I will be putting a $7,000 - $8,000 down payment on the vehicle. I am very nervous that I will not be able to be approved for a loan with my scores and derogatory items on my reports from a few years back. Am I worrying over nothing? I realize that my interest rates will not be the lowest, my main concern is getting a loan at all.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
06/11/08 - TransUnion - 625 Equifax - 649 Experian - 605

07/01/08 - TransUnion - 625 Equifax - 658 Experian - 615
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Purchasing vehicle in August

Having a large down payment will help.  You should be okay to get  a loan since the bad stuff is several years old.
Message 2 of 10
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

What part of the country are you in? I would recommend you going with Nissan, they mostly care about the credit score and will approve you will some baddies! The minimum score they look for is 620, which will qualify you for tier 4! They usually pull EQ and TU. So make sure those scores are atleast 620! Good Luck!

Probably any USA Automaker such as Ford, Chrysler, GM, will be more lenient to approve since they need to move some cars!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 3 of 10
nathan
Frequent Contributor

Very few lenders will turn you down with that down payment and your credit is not terrible. like others have said, just make sure your scores improve at the very least and you will be fine.
Message 4 of 10
yosh

Thanks for your input. I live in Pennsylvania. I am hoping to finance a used BMW or Mercedes. I am thinking a CU will be a better option for me. My yearly gross income is about 50k and from what I understand CU are more likely to look at DTI and current income?

Message 5 of 10
cobra19
Valued Contributor

yosh.........are you eligible for NFCU membership? If so, I am sure they will give you a great rate. I was all set to finance with through Lexus, until I checked out NFCU. NFCU now gets all my business.

NFCU pulls EQ
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 6 of 10
yosh

I'll be honest with you, I do not know what an NFCU is. lol.

Message 7 of 10
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Navy Federal Credit Union.......................nfcu.org
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 8 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Secutity Service FCU just gave me 5.4% for 60 months.  That was there best rate.  I see 0% and 2.9 for other places  etc but not on cars that I want.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 10
yosh

I'm not eligible for membership for NFCU. Unfortunately nobody in my family is/was in the service. I know there are some credit unions in my town that are open to the public, so I'm going to take a stab at them.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.