Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about motorcycle financing...

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Question about motorcycle financing...

Here's the scoop...

I have two paid-as-agreed, never late auto loans (just over a year old) and some credit cards with small balances. My scores in the siggy are current. We rent (LOW rent), so no mortgage payment.

I accepted a position with my current employer in Jan. It pays FAR better than the old position...yearly gross $80,000. However, that new position is 90 miles from our home and putting gas in my truck is killing us (wife drives auto #2...KIA Sedona van). I have calculated that riding a motorcycle in the spring, summer and fall months will save us $3,300 a year...even with motorcycle payment factored in...and I could be home FIVE days a week instead of having to stay in the city a couple days a week.

I would like to buy a Honda Shadow or something else that has decent power (headwinds here SUCK), yet gets 55-60 MPG. Would I do better to finance straight through Honda Financial or another dealer, or would I do better going through my  credit union...which gave me an unsecured CC already?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated in advance!

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about motorcycle financing...

@CreditCrusader wrote:

Here's the scoop...

I have two paid-as-agreed, never late auto loans (just over a year old) and some credit cards with small balances. My scores in the siggy are current. We rent (LOW rent), so no mortgage payment.

I accepted a position with my current employer in Jan. It pays FAR better than the old position...yearly gross $80,000. However, that new position is 90 miles from our home and putting gas in my truck is killing us (wife drives auto #2...KIA Sedona van). I have calculated that riding a motorcycle in the spring, summer and fall months will save us $3,300 a year...even with motorcycle payment factored in...and I could be home FIVE days a week instead of having to stay in the city a couple days a week.

I would like to buy a Honda Shadow or something else that has decent power (headwinds here SUCK), yet gets 55-60 MPG. Would I do better to finance straight through Honda Financial or another dealer, or would I do better going through my  credit union...which gave me an unsecured CC already?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated in advance!

I know it's not an AMEX question, but bump Smiley Very Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Sounds like you just really want a motorcycle.

I say, get it.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 13
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

I say, get it.

Yeah, not really. As per this part of my post, there is actually a financial reason I am looking into this:

I accepted a position with my current employer in Jan. It pays FAR better than the old position; yearly gross $80,000. However, that new position is 90 miles from our home and putting gas in my truck is killing us (wife drives auto #2: KIA Sedona van). I have calculated that riding a motorcycle in the spring, summer and fall months will save us $3,300 a year - even with motorcycle payment factored in - and I could be home FIVE days a week instead of having to stay in the city a couple days a week.

I do appreciate the reply - only one I have gotten all day, but I really need some insight from anyone who has any. I don't want to apply for credit in vain.

Message 4 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Well, your justifications sound reasonable and straight forward. Only you know what it will do to your/wife's finances.

CU is the route to go, for sure.

Having owned 3 motorcycles, I just found them to be as expensive as cars with regards to tires/maintenance.  That's why I support you just wanting to get one.  I plan to get one for a positive TL in a year or 2, since I have no other debt.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

I say, get it.

Yeah, not really. As per this part of my post, there is actually a financial reason I am looking into this:

I accepted a position with my current employer in Jan. It pays FAR better than the old position; yearly gross $80,000. However, that new position is 90 miles from our home and putting gas in my truck is killing us (wife drives auto #2: KIA Sedona van). I have calculated that riding a motorcycle in the spring, summer and fall months will save us $3,300 a year - even with motorcycle payment factored in - and I could be home FIVE days a week instead of having to stay in the city a couple days a week.

I do appreciate the reply - only one I have gotten all day, but I really need some insight from anyone who has any. I don't want to apply for credit in vain.

I actually agree a little on this.  If saving money on your commute is your main goal, why not trade in your truck and get a car with 35-40 MPG?  This way you won't have two vehicle payments and not have to drive your truck to work during inclement weather.  Seems like a better solution to the problem to me.

If you really just want a motorcycle, though, I can sympathize.  I would love to have one but the wife won't let me, and she shouldn't, because I might kill myself, ha!

Message 6 of 13
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

I say, get it.

I actually agree a little on this.  If saving money on your commute is your main goal, why not trade in your truck and get a car with 35-40 MPG?  This way you won't have two vehicle payments and not have to drive your truck to work during inclement weather.  Seems like a better solution to the problem to me.

If you really just want a motorcycle, though, I can sympathize.  I would love to have one but the wife won't let me, and she shouldn't, because I might kill myself, ha!

That was what I loooked into at first, but I'm far too early into my auto loan. It would make my payment too much for a single vehicle...and even though 35-40 mpg is better than my truck, it pales in comparison to the 60 a motorcycle gets. Plus, I already have the endorsement on my license, so I'm a skilled rider. It would be an easy transition.

The bigger question here is CU v. Honda financial. It seems CU is the answer all around.

Message 7 of 13
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

I have an 02 VT750 Shadow I bought new. I get 60 MPG and love my bike. I say go for it & you will save alot on fuel. Not sure now, but when I bought my bike 10 years ago I got 0% through American Honda.

Message 8 of 13
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

At highway speeds, motorcycles can suffer unless it is geared really long.  I've only ever owned supersports, never touring or cruisers, which are probably geared better for highway cruising.  I average 46 mpg in my bike Smiley Sad Smiley Sad but a shadow may be able to approach 60 on the highway, as long as you keep your speeds below 65 or so.

My personal opinion, if you don't actually want the bike, and are actually doing this for purely financial reasons, is to get a scooter.  100+ mpg and would in all likelihood be cheaper, as well as cheaper insurance.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I say NO to this idea.  90 miles each way will be a killer on a motorcycle and you are more vulnerable with wind, rain and lousy drivers.  Safety is paramount here.  Bottom line is a 90 mile commute is on the very fringe of what is sane in todays world.  I wouldn't want to do it in a car, much less on a mororcycle (and I've been riding for over 35 years!).  You are talking at least 4 hours a day on the road, maybe more.  I think you should plan on getting a place t live near work and come home on the weekends, it will be cheaper in the long run.  I did this for a few years and it worked out fine.  Check with local chain motels (like Candlewood Suites) and cut a deal with them for a semi-permanent rate.  In many places once you stay over 30 days the room is no longer subject to sales tax. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.