cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about motorcycle financing...

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about motorcycle financing...

@Watchmann wrote:

I say NO to this idea.  90 miles each way will be a killer on a motorcycle and you are more vulnerable with wind, rain and lousy drivers.  Safety is paramount here.  Bottom line is a 90 mile commute is on the very fringe of what is sane in todays world.  I wouldn't want to do it in a car, much less on a mororcycle (and I've been riding for over 35 years!).  You are talking at least 4 hours a day on the road, maybe more.  I think you should plan on getting a place t live near work and come home on the weekends, it will be cheaper in the long run.  I did this for a few years and it worked out fine.  Check with local chain motels (like Candlewood Suites) and cut a deal with them for a semi-permanent rate.  In many places once you stay over 30 days the room is no longer subject to sales tax. 

I appreciate your feedback based on experience, but getting a place to live separate from my family 5 days a week WILL NEVER HAPPEN. I would ride a motorcycle through the gates of h*ll before I abandon my wife and children for a 5-day stretch week after week.

I am also an experienced rider...particularly on I-69 north. I do appreciate your concern for safety, but my options are uproot family and kids who have only known one school system or find a cheaper way to travel until gas prices come down (if they ever do). I'll gladly sacrifice for those I love.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

If saving money on your commute is your main goal, why not trade in your truck and get a car with 35-40 MPG?  This way you won't have two vehicle payments and not have to drive your truck to work during inclement weather.  Seems like a better solution to the problem to me.

That was what I loooked into at first, but I'm far too early into my auto loan. It would make my payment too much for a single vehicle...and even though 35-40 mpg is better than my truck, it pales in comparison to the 60 a motorcycle gets. Plus, I already have the endorsement on my license, so I'm a skilled rider. It would be an easy transition.

The bigger question here is CU v. Honda financial. It seems CU is the answer all around.

This isn't quite making sense to me, sorry. You said you're about 1 yr into your truck loan? Why's that too early? And why would that make the payment too much? Unless you're saying you don't want to get rid of the truck, which saves you nothing.

I guess what I'm saying is, why can't you trade for a more economical car? Because I can't see any reason you can't, and a bunch why you should consider it.

Financially, when you run the numbers, it will be cheaper than the motorcycle/truck plan, and it's safer. (We used to race and ride them, so yeah, I understand you think you're a good driver. But you don't control the weather and other drivers, right? No matter how you shake it, they aren't safer, even w gear-which isn't cheap- and defensive training. You won't be getting a guarn'd 60 mpg either. And they aren't the most comfortable to ride for that long of a commute. Ouch. That's gonna get old, quick.)

Besides, you don't need the truck if you get a car. If you get a motorcycle, you will at times. If you're getting another loan and not getting rid of the truck, you're spending more, not less, in interest and insurance and payments and registrations that won't be offset by the gas savings. And remember, any gas savings w the motorcycle has to be avg'd in w the higher gas costs of the days running the truck.

Anyway. Right now, w the truck, you said you're staying in the city a few nights a week and eating up gas. 

A motorcycle is less gas but the motorcycle loan is higher interest, another registration, and the insurance. . .ouch. Add in the safety factor and maintenance, and the truck loan and its exps, and, eh,mayhaps you're not saving as much as you think. (You're not.) But you will get home every night. Your back won't thank you, but hey. 

A used compact will have lower interest and lower insurance and lower gas, be safer, won't suck to drive in the rain, and get you home every night if you ditch the truck.

So. I still don't quite see how a motorcycle is the better financial decision. 

OT, and my not asked for opinion, but you're not the only one sacrificing for your family. Sorry. They're going without you. Smiley Sad They're the ones sacrificing.  You can't put a price on being away from them and losing that time, you know? I"ve never quite been able to wrap my head around why people will say a school switch is worse than a parent's absence. But that's OT, and IMunsolicitedO, and I do apologize for that. 

But to actually answer your ques, start w a CU. Tho, if I'm reading this right, I would think asking for 3 open loans might be an issue.

Message 12 of 13
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCrusader wrote:

If saving money on your commute is your main goal, why not trade in your truck and get a car with 35-40 MPG?  This way you won't have two vehicle payments and not have to drive your truck to work during inclement weather.  Seems like a better solution to the problem to me.

That was what I loooked into at first, but I'm far too early into my auto loan. It would make my payment too much for a single vehicle...and even though 35-40 mpg is better than my truck, it pales in comparison to the 60 a motorcycle gets. Plus, I already have the endorsement on my license, so I'm a skilled rider. It would be an easy transition.

The bigger question here is CU v. Honda financial. It seems CU is the answer all around.

This isn't quite making sense to me, sorry. You said you're about 1 yr into your truck loan? Why's that too early? And why would that make the payment too much? Unless you're saying you don't want to get rid of the truck, which saves you nothing.

I guess what I'm saying is, why can't you trade for a more economical car? Because I can't see any reason you can't, and a bunch why you should consider it.

Financially, when you run the numbers, it will be cheaper than the motorcycle/truck plan, and it's safer. (We used to race and ride them, so yeah, I understand you think you're a good driver. But you don't control the weather and other drivers, right? No matter how you shake it, they aren't safer, even w gear-which isn't cheap- and defensive training. You won't be getting a guarn'd 60 mpg either. And they aren't the most comfortable to ride for that long of a commute. Ouch. That's gonna get old, quick.)

Besides, you don't need the truck if you get a car. If you get a motorcycle, you will at times. If you're getting another loan and not getting rid of the truck, you're spending more, not less, in interest and insurance and payments and registrations that won't be offset by the gas savings. And remember, any gas savings w the motorcycle has to be avg'd in w the higher gas costs of the days running the truck.

Anyway. Right now, w the truck, you said you're staying in the city a few nights a week and eating up gas. 

A motorcycle is less gas but the motorcycle loan is higher interest, another registration, and the insurance. . .ouch. Add in the safety factor and maintenance, and the truck loan and its exps, and, eh,mayhaps you're not saving as much as you think. (You're not.) But you will get home every night. Your back won't thank you, but hey. 

A used compact will have lower interest and lower insurance and lower gas, be safer, won't suck to drive in the rain, and get you home every night if you ditch the truck.

So. I still don't quite see how a motorcycle is the better financial decision. 

OT, and my not asked for opinion, but you're not the only one sacrificing for your family. Sorry. They're going without you. Smiley Sad They're the ones sacrificing.  You can't put a price on being away from them and losing that time, you know? I"ve never quite been able to wrap my head around why people will say a school switch is worse than a parent's absence. But that's OT, and IMunsolicitedO, and I do apologize for that. 

But to actually answer your ques, start w a CU. Tho, if I'm reading this right, I would think asking for 3 open loans might be an issue.

Yeah...never said I was the only one sacrificing here....not once. Please do me a favor and leave the assumptive personal injections that seek to depricate my dedication to my family out of the conversation. I am well aware that they are sacrificing not having husband and dad at home, thank you very much. I was quite obviously speaking for myself.

As ar as the financial issue, trading the truck in only makes sense if it doesn't result in an upside-down balance to be added to the new loan. Given that the truck is a year old and has 11,000 miles, I doubt I will get anywhere near anything close to what I owe for it at this moment. Not saying I'm not trying, but early inquiries aren;t looking promising.

Anyway...thx for the feedback.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.