Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding car title

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding car title

Hello,

I have a question regarding the my wifes car that I would like to ask. My wife bout her car in 2007 when she was in Georgia. She was new so her uncle cosigned in the auto loan and now the title has both the names listed on it as owners. last week we recieved the title from honda financial due to end ot term alongwith Paid in Full letter. Now my question is:

1. When she moved to NJ with me after our marraige we had hell lot of problem for transfering the car from GA to NJ as the local DMV office needed the other peorsn to come in to transfer the title. which finally we were able to do with a letter from him alongwith his SS card copy and GA license. (He was generous enough to provide us with the copies of that). Now the title has her maiden name on it, so do we need to change it to her current name (we have official court name change papers, new SS card & DL with her new name on it)?

2. What problems/documents should we anticipate while going for that?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Question regarding car title

No real need to change the title from her maiden name to married name, it's just another opportunity for an error or glitch to enter the system.  When she finally sells the vehcile she can provide a copy of the marriage licence or other documentation tying her married name to her maiden name.  This is a standard situation that is part of daily life, there is no issue here.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question regarding car title

@Watchmann wrote:

No real need to change the title from her maiden name to married name, it's just another opportunity for an error or glitch to enter the system.  When she finally sells the vehcile she can provide a copy of the marriage licence or other documentation tying her married name to her maiden name.  This is a standard situation that is part of daily life, there is no issue here.

Thanks for prompt response. We have official court papers with her name change. Another question - when we sell the car privately or do a trade in how to approach this issue since the court papers has her SSN and DOB listed alongwith her (old) maiden name and (new/changed) married name?

Sale - just sign the tile and give it to the buyer and take the plates of the car?

Trade-in - Just take the court paper with us when we go for trade-in show it to the dealer and take it back with us?

Never done this nor have anybody who has gone through this so am asking so many questions. Just don't want to have hell lot of issues few years down the line

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.