Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions W/DCU

tag
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions W/DCU

"will always be Nada clean retail amount for used cars?"

Are you asking if they always use clean retail as the basis for LTV and for refis? If so most financial institutions do, yes, but not all. I'm pretty sure DCU is one of those that do use NADA Clean Retail. You really should call and ask DCU for questions specific to them.

"What I really don't understand is at what % ltv will it cover the whole car sale with TTL?"

Depends on final price and what TTL is in your area. Let me give you an exmaple in my state.

NADA Clean Retail = 14k

Car Price = 12k+200 (doc fees)

Taxes = .06*12.2k = 732

Title + License = $200

Total Car OTD Price = 12k+200(doc)+732(tax)+200(title+license) = 13132

If you borrow 13132, the LTV is 13132/14000 = 93.8%. So you'd need a loan that allows you to borrow up to 94% LTV. If it only allowed 80% LTV, you'd have to come up with 13132(purch price)-.8*14000(NADA Clean retail)= $1932 as a down payment.

Again this is how it typically works. I'm not sure if DCU means something else if they say 80% LTV, really you should call them on Monday when they open if the dealer doesn't finance you at a lower rate. Something tells me though that the dealer is going to be able to beat DCU's rate and won't require a down payment making this whole issue a moot point.

Message 11 of 13
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Is this your first auto loan? I know a rep from DCU mentioned this to me (first time car buyer program) where they require 20% DP and would only finance 80%. In my case though, they approved for 125% of the amount I requested. Guess it's a YMMV thing.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 12 of 13
beachdudede
Valued Member

I was approved for a car loan this week by DCU and did not have an LTV or a downpayment requirement. I was given an amount I could borrow up to, $14,500. If I wanted a more expensive car than that, I had to come up with the money myself (I did put 10% down to go a bit over the limit for the car I wanted and to reduce my monthly payment).

It was not that I could buy a car for up to $14,500 and had to put 20%, or $2,900 down.

Current: FICO Equifax 662, Experian 659, TransUnion 671
Capital One CC: $500, 5% util
Short-term goal: Move out of sub-prime
Long-term goal: improve score to allow me to buy the home I'm renting
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.