cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on Auto Inquiry/Purchase

tag
ohjk

I apologize if this is getting a little bit off topic but today I received an alert from equifax that transunion had made an inquiry to them on behalf of the car dealership ive been dealing with.  I emailed them asking what happened since we had been crystal clear about not running my credit until I gave the go ahead and this is the response I received:

"My business manager did not run your credit he did put into a government background screening system but nothing was submitted to the bank. We are on the same page and I did advise him of the situation and asked him not to submit or run anything until you gave me the ok."

Is there any truth at all to there being such a thing as a government background screening system?

Im most upset that it seems that my credit was somehow run and I dont even have a response about an auto loan, so this was just a completely useless inquiry.

OP,

I moved  your post, changed the title and left everything else alone. ~Lexie

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ohjk

At minimum they are required to provide me with a copy of the outcome of any credit inquiry right?  Trying to weigh if its worth calling their bluff to find out what exactly they did

Message 2 of 8
ohjk

Could a mod move this to the auto loan thread since i think its crossed into that realm?

Message 3 of 8
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions on Auto Inquiry/Purchase

Yeah, they do this often. You can in theory get it off by maybe printing out what they sent you that credit was run and sending it to the bureau with the inquiry.

Dealers in general pull first, ask questions later. Only way to avoid this is to freeze.

Message 4 of 8
ohjk

thanks.  i spoke to them and my salesperson is swearing that they only entered my info into a government background check system required by the patriot act, i explained to him that that is BS, i work in finance and am intimately aware of the KYC requirements required by the patriot act and he backed of and said he would speak to his business manager. we'll see but im considering asking for my deposit back and walking away from these jokers.

Message 5 of 8
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Yeah, exactly, it's BS. Good for you on calling them out and pointing out this Patriot Act BS is just that...BS.

Message 6 of 8
ohjk

Just to close the loop on this, it sounds like what they have done is pull my credit report themselves and then they will submit that report to the bank when I give them approval.  The problem with that is that i didnt want my credit accessed until I gave them the go ahead because what they accessed shows that I have 100% credit utilization but it will not in a week. 

Heres the response to my screenshot showing they HP'd my CR
"Just wanted to email you to let you know that I just spoke with my business manager and the way that he explained it is that when he submits it your social it runs your background check and it does run an inquiry. The next step would be to submit that information to the bank for an approval, at this time he has not submitted anything to the bank until you have paid your credit cards. Like we agreed upon nothing will be submitted to the bank until you tell me that you have made your payment.
I am sorry for the mis-communication "
Message 7 of 8
Remember0
Valued Contributor

I'd tell them to remove it or you'll take action under FCRA (they're liable $1k for that "miscommunication"). But you may not want to go that far haha.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.