Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-finance FTW

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re-finance FTW

So I've been touting the merits of taking whatever loan you can get if you need a car and your credit score is awkward, especially if hit with a first-time buyer penalty on one's auto-enhanced score.

In my case, 19.35% APR opened in December 2011 with WFDS; just re-financed to 5.99% with DCU.... this is way beyond my wildest hopes, I was near fantasizing about a single-digit APR in the 9-9.99% range.  If I can do it starting with an auto-enhanced pull of 551, most folks can.  

The pain of a subprime horror of an auto loan doesn't last forever. 

        
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Re-finance FTW

Congrats! That is a fantastic rate!

Message 2 of 7
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats OP.  Stories like these definitely give my wife hope of obtaining a prime rate on an auto loan in a couple years or so.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is DCU?

Message 4 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Your new rate is "drool-worthy"    Good Job and Congrats!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I don't usually post in this board I want to say congrats Revelate! I know you have been working hard for awhile with your credit and wanting a good rate.

Enjoy your savings.

Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

DCU = Digital Credit Union (Digital Federal CU technically).

WH: Yeah I'm still in something of shocked disbelief, I keep checking the online interface.  I'm also pretty stunned at their good payment policy where I can continue to drop my APR over time: in theory I can be down to 4.5% with 18 months of on-time payments.  While I am expecting to pay it down fairly quickly to make room for a mortgage next year, I'm still tickled pink Smiley Wink.

Thanks all for the support, this forum has been a fantastic resource.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.