Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record Interest Rate Drop?

tag
Raiderguy8
New Contributor

Record Interest Rate Drop?

I bought a used 2010 Ford Fusion Sport in March 2014, a long time before I had ever heard about MyFICO and didn't know what I was doing.  I had scores that I am sure were low to mid 500's and tried hard to get someone to finance me.  Finally, Exeter financed me at...22.92%.  I knew that was high but I didn't truly realize how high that was until later.  My payment was $440 a month and lately only $175 has been going to principal.  Pretty much just throwing money away.  I found MyFICO in December and have turned my credit around.  Finally thought it was time where I might be able to significantly improve my interest rate.  Had planned on using Capital One since they were the first company to issue a credit card to me and because I didnt think that DCU would approve me.  This weekend, I took a chance and applied to DCU for a refi.  I would have been happy to get anything close to 5% as that would make a huge difference in my payment.  After applying I found a thread that indicated that DCU did not like collections and other derogs.  They pulled Equifax which has one medical collection and a state lien.  I started to wish I hadn't applied as it now seemed like I had wasted a hard pull. I waited nervously all day for them to contact me.  When they called they let me know that I had been approved and the interest rate would be.....2.99% or 2.49% with direct deposit!  I could not believe what he was telling me.  With direct deposit my interest rate would drop 20.42%.  That's gotta be a board record doesn't it?  Smiley Very Happy  Even if it isn't I will take solace in knowing that I will now be saving around $130 a month on my payment.  It is like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. To think, if I had read that one thread a bit earlier I probably would have been too discouraged to have attempted the refi.  Goes to show that no lender lives by absolutes and you have to make the best, decisions for you and you alone. 

Thanks to all on this board who share such a well informed group of opinions and histories to help a guy like me save a nice amount of money each and every month.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Record Interest Rate Drop?

Wow!  I bet you have set the board record!  Don't know for sure, but it sounds like it.

Time to take a minute to celebrate Smiley Happy  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GihMpoc24

Message 2 of 3
Raiderguy8
New Contributor

Re: Record Interest Rate Drop?

I called DCU's customer service line and asked, since they would be doing a second HP on my credit for the CU membership, would they be willing to combine that HP for a credit card application.  I was told that they could not combine it with the HP for the membership but that they could use the HP which they had on file for the auto refi.  I figured why not since it would be a free application without a HP.  They passed me to the loan department and the loan originator understood my request, put me on hold, and came back in a few minutes to inform me that I was approved for a 3K Visa Platinum.  I was half tempted to ask him to apply for a mortgage.

Can I marry DCU?  I doubt my wife would mind.  Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.