Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refi auto loan or buy a new car?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refi auto loan or buy a new car?

Hi, I could use some advice!  I'm 3 years post Ch7 and I currently have 2 years left on my car loan at 14% with a payment that is killing my budget. I'm stuck between trying to refi at a lower rate and adding a year to lower my monthly payment -or- buying a new or newer pre-owned vehicle with a lower interest rate.  I've got 65k on my car and will be near 100k in 2 years when the loan is paid. I wouldn't be upside down on the refi or trade in soon. Current auto scores are just below 700. I have a few  CC balances that I'm working on paying off. Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refi auto loan or buy a new car?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I could use some advice!  I'm 3 years post Ch7 and I currently have 2 years left on my car loan at 14% with a payment that is killing my budget. I'm stuck between trying to refi at a lower rate and adding a year to lower my monthly payment -or- buying a new or newer pre-owned vehicle with a lower interest rate.  I've got 65k on my car and will be near 100k in 2 years when the loan is paid. I wouldn't be upside down on the refi or trade in soon. Current auto scores are just below 700. I have a few  CC balances that I'm working on paying off. Any suggestions would be appreciated! 

Are you looking at going through a CU for the auto loan?  We all know that going through the dealer can lead to too many new INQs.  If it were me, I would opt to purchase a new car as long as it is in your budget, because regardless to whatever option you choose, the old tradeline will be closed out, and a new one opened. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refi auto loan or buy a new car?

Yes, will try a CRU for the loan. The current loan was IIB and reaffirmed.  Curious what will happen to my scores with a new loan.  Still need to price cars and figure out what I can afford. Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.