cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance: How many applications are safe?

tag
tduke
Established Member

Refinance: How many applications are safe?

I applied for a car loan last year, and stupidly did not even read about dealer tricks before buying the car. I ended up with a 7.04% APR mostly because of high balances on my cards. Anyway, I want to refinance now and I know that the FICO score considers applications for the same type of loan as 1 inquiry, but I'm confused because in the credit report, FICO analysis still counts them all individually for example "You have x credit inquiries", it doesn't say you have 1, but it sums everything up. I'd like to compare rates with 4 different lenders. Is that too much? And will I only get 1 inquiry hit on my credit? 

Starting Score: 626 TU FICO
Current Score: 735 EQ FICO
Goal Score: 780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Refinance: How many applications are safe?

no I have tried on 2 or 3 seperate occasions to refinance mine and I have applied for anywhere from 3-10 places each time I've done it... When you look it is telling you that you have 15 inquiries but when Fico calculates the score it's only using say the 5 that are not the car loan related.  I have not seen a score drop at any point from my car loan shopping.

If you have access to Navy Federal, they are probably the best right now.

Credit union in general probably best.

lendingtree is not to bad either beecause you can get the top 3 offers in under an hour probably... but I would do a local credit union otherwise.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.