Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance or Lease?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinance or Lease?

I've been paying off my first car loan for about 18 months now; started February 2014. While I am able to keep up with my payments, it would be nice if i could get them lowered in order to focus on paying down my credit card debt and start saving a bit more. My question is: what makes more sense?

1) Refinance with DCU for a lower rate/monthly payment. 

2) Trade in the used car and lease a new car for 2 or 3 years. Hoping to take advantage of model year end sales. 

Car Details:

CREDIT SCORE:  700+ (from credit karma. Haven't pulled my Fico Score yet)
CUSTOMER STATE OF RESIDENCE: FL
NEW/USED: USED
YEAR OF VEHICLE: 2012
MAKE: Toyota
MODEL: Camry
MILEAGE: 16,000. Currently has 29,000
RETAIL/LEASE: Finance
AMOUNT OF LOAN: $18,000~
TERM CONTRACTED: 66 months
APR/LEASE RATE: 8.49%
MONTHLY PAYMENT:  $347
ANNUAL INCOME: $32,000~

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Re: Refinance or Lease?

Definitely refi. But I absolutely hate leases so I'm pretty biased. If you have over a 675 you should be able to refi to 1.99 with dcu.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 2 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you like your car I would just refi

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I defintely like the car. I like the idea of making it an asset once the loan is paid off in 4 years. 

I will put in an application with DCU. If i'm approved and my payments drop below $300, I will continue to pay my $350. That way I should be able to pay it off sooner. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU application submited. Now the waiting game. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like I've been approved! Uploaded my pay stub and submitted a membership application. Can someone explain the refinance information form? What are the last three fields I need to fill out: 10 day pay off, pay off good through and daily interest. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like I've been approved! Uploaded my pay stub and submitted a membership application. Can someone explain the refinance information form? What are the last three fields I need to fill out: 10 day pay off, pay off good through and daily interest. 

Your current lender should offer you a payoff amount.  It will state that is good through a fixed date (for example 10 days)

You can calculate your daily interest by taking the principal owed x your current interest rate & then divide by 365 to calculate

your daily interest.

Principal 15k -  interest rate 8.9% .   15000 X .089 = 1335.00 

$1335.00 divided by 365 = $3.66

daily interest is $3.66

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinancing is a great move here, congratulations.  Anyone who has an improving score and high APR can benefit from refinancing a car loan, there are no fees so even if all you are saving is a point or two it still makes sense, I am sure in your case you are cutting the APR in half which is great.  Please report the numbers when you have them

Message 8 of 11
Hoya08
Regular Contributor

gib_6808 wrote:  You can calculate your daily interest by taking the principal owed x your current interest rate & then divide by 365 to calculate

your daily interest.

Principal 15k -  interest rate 8.9% .   15000 X .089 = 1335.00 

$1335.00 divided by 365 = $3.66

daily interest is $3.66

As a caveat, this is the daily interest amount before your payment due date.  The daily interest amount decreases month-to-month.  However, since the OP is refinancing relatively soon, this technicality won't matter.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the info. I'll fill out the form tonight and upload it.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.