cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance with a Cashout Loan. Is this as bad a deal as it seems?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinance with a Cashout Loan. Is this as bad a deal as it seems?

I've improved my credit score over the past couple of years, and I wanted to see about refinancing my current auto loan with a lower interest rate. I contacted Wells Fargo. They are financing the car at the moment. They offered to refinance for 66months @ 12.49% to reduce my monthly payment to $248/mo. He said that a BETTER deal would be to do a larger loan with a cash out. Here are all the details I've compiled:

Current Loans

Ford Flex

Total Payoff: $10,900 @ 7.49%

Payment: $455/mo

Payments left: 26

VW GTI

Total Payoff: $8650 @ 7.34%

Payment: $288/mo

Payments left: 34

Navient

Total: $2000

Payment: $58/mo

All Loans: $21,550

Total Monthly Payments: $808/mo

Proposal

Create a new loan for $21,550 @ 12.49% APR for 66 months. Pay off current Wells Fargo loan and receive cash in hand $10,600.

Use that cash to pay off VW $8,650 and Navient $2000.

New Loan

Payoff: $21,500 @ 12.49%

I'm getting ready to sell the VW GTI, and I can expect to get between $11K-$12K. I could use that money to pay down the principal on the new loan, but I can't get past the interest rate. It seems like this deal is really only beneficial for Wells Fargo. 

Something else he mentioned, that seems...wrong. He said by paying off the student loan, any derogatory marks from missed payments would disappear. That seems to conflict with what I have heard.

Does this deal look as horrible as it seems?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refinance with a Cashout Loan. Is this as bad a deal as it seems?

After doing some more shopping, yeah it's a super bad deal. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

After doing some more shopping, yeah it's a super bad deal. 

Glad you figured it out.  I also think it is a BAD IDEA.

Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

How could increasing your interest rate and over a longer period of time EVER be a good idea?!

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just to add, the only reason you were told to do cash out is because he couldn't LEGALLY offer you a refi loan that increases your costs without offering you something above and beyond a simple refi... it's bordering unethical but he made it legal.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.