cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing My Auto Loan

tag
Janyse

Refinancing My Auto Loan

I am desperately looking to refinance my auto loan(GM Financial).  The only reason why is because the co-signer is my soon to be ex-husband.  I called the loan company and they do not offer refinancing.  He was added to the loan for income purposes and I have been paying on it since 2012 with 58 payments to go. My credit score is low(maybe 615-630 in some instances).  The only other option is to trade but I don't have the extra for the $4k in negative equity in the car.  Please help with any suggestions or companies that deal with people in my situation.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Refinancing My Auto Loan

Do you have an income that will support the loan?

If so, go to a credit union and apply there. Usually CU's have easier qualifying criteria. They will tell you right up front how much they will finance. BTW, I think its a great idea to get the car refi'ed into your name to simplify divorce issues.

Message 2 of 5
Janyse

I just applied to a CU....keeping my fingers crossed.
Message 3 of 5
Janyse

UPDATE:

I applied to a CU and they approved me for only $12k.  I am still lacking at least 7k.  Any suggestions on how I can turn my sitution around utilizing this 12k to refinance a car with a $19,700 balance?

My goal is to get out of this car into another one or at least get my ex name off of it.

Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Can you get the shortfall from selling anything around the house or some from your soon to be ex (as it would benefit him too) or a 401k. I don't normally advise dipping into retirement but to have a clean break from your ex so you have no ties with him is better for you in the long run. See if you can get the lender up $1k or $2k. You will just have to work a plan to make it. What is the LTV they are giving you on the refi?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.