Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing Very Upside Down Car Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Refinancing Very Upside Down Car Loan

@VelosterBEAR wrote:
As someone who just traded in a 2016 Hyundai Veloster that was $10k under water it was really easy for me. Don't get me wrong, I had to carry over some negative but not near as much as I thought because it ended up being about $6k.

I luckily found a lasting 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport that had a lot of rebates and cash from the dealer cause they wanted to get rid of it with all the new 2018's hitting the lot and it only had 111 miles and drives/rides like a dream!

Luckily my bank helped me out tremendously with all of this so I didn't have to get the dealer to do anything at all.

Who do you have that car loan through? With you coming up on a year right now. You probably stand a good chance to refinance the vehicle for a much lower rate. Unless you have it with someone who won't refinance existing loans. But then you could look into moving it elsewhere.

All you would need to do is find the NADA value because most credit unions will finance it for anywhere between 125% to 150% above the average trade-in value as long as you end up getting GAP coverage.

I think you have a lot of avenues to go down on getting a lower payment. Just have to find the one that works best for you.

Wow that's awesome! I finance with ally and they don't refinance. So I will have to go to my credit union and see what they can do for me. Like I said i LOVE my truck and i really dont want to trade it in I just have to get my note down. But yea, I just have to explore my options and see what works best. Thanks!! 

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem! You probably will have some luck refinancing it with your CU. If not, then there are probably other CU’s you could sign up with to see about getting them to refinance.

Good luck!
Message 12 of 19
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Most CU's and banks won't refi their own vehicle loans for a lower interest rate that's why it is a good idea to have relationships with a couple of good CU's and banks too. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

True! I’ve found in recent years that some CU’s are better about helping you out but it seems like going somewhere new ends up giving you a better rate.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again! I have my insurance coverage through Geico and they do not offer GAP insurance. Can I get JUST gap insurance from a company or do I have to have my car insurance with that same company as well?

Thanks!! 

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! I used that site you listed and got an even lower amount. An actual dealership called me and told me the traded in value of my truck but not what it is worth. I have googled around and cannot find anything trusting. Any suggetions other then just seeing what the bank says?

Thanks!

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't rely on what a dealer says trade in value on your vehicle is. Call and ask a dealer what they would WRITE YOU A CHECK FOR, rather than trade-in value. When dealer's present you number's on your trade in vehicle it may not be the ACV (actual cash value) they can inflate the trade in amount, so to get a good idea of what your vehicle is actually worth to a dealer ask them what they would write a check for it for.

When trading at a dealer it is all a number's game, manipulating them in a way that makes it more presentable to the customer.

As far as GAP protection, I would shop around for insurance as I have found many times than not that Geico is usually higher..many other insurance provider's offer GAP coverage. In addition, wherever you end up refinancing, check with them to see if they offer GAP...many CU's offer their own type of GAP coverage.

Kind of off topic, but on topic in a way...I have alway's personally thought that purchasing GAP coverage from a third party is better than purchasing it through your insurance company. My reasoning behind this, and I may be wrong, is that if you total your vehicle and it is borderline being totalled or not, a insurance company may very well not deem your vehicle totalled if they have to pay a GAP claim as well. Think about it, if you are underwater on your vehicle and have GAP, the Insurance company may very well take on less losses by not totalling the vehicle and just repairing it rather than paying out an insurance claim and GAP claim. Which is return leaves you with a vehicle that should have been totalled and may never drive the same.

In the early 2000's my mother had a bad accident in a Honda CRV and the insurance company didn't total the vehicle even though there was a ton of damage to the vehicle, after getting the vehicle repaired my mom had to trade it in a few month's later because it just didn't drive the same.

As far as NADA showing a lower value, it really depend's where you live and what region you are in, some region's do use other appraisal tools such as Black Book, KBB, or NADA. In my experience I have found that most lender's tend to use NADA because it a more national representation of a vehicle's value. Make sure you have the correct trim level selected, and option's, and pay close attention to NADA clean retail and NADA clean trade in values, let's say NADA clean retail is $25,000 then it would be very possible to get up to $30,000 financed on that with good credit and a lender willing to do 120% of book value.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info there from SEMO!

I agree that you should definitely look into wherever you refinance the vehicle on whether or not they carry GAP or not. I don’t think that carrying GAP through your insurance company turns out good either.

I have GEICO and love them for my coverage, but don’t think I would carry GAP with them if they offered it.

As for the value of your vehicle. NADA is usually what is used by most places and kind of is the standard. If the dealer called and just gave you a random number. You can’t really trust it because most of the time if you were to show up and they find something wrong or off that makes them check a box on their paper, then they will lower that offer.
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

what did you do exactly to trade in your car and knock off some equity? like what they said above? I need to trade in my car because I need a bigger vehicle now that I had my second child. I have a Nissan juke 2013 and my loan is a little over 12k and my tRade in value from KB says it's worth a little bit over 7k . I got my car at carmax.
I also need to get my payment lowered should I refinance my car first or just go to trade it in? this is my first vehicle and had no credit when I got it so I have a 26% interest rate . now I have a 638 credit score
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.