Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing - Would I be a fool?

tag
cassie3783
Regular Contributor

Refinancing - Would I be a fool?

To pass this up?

I have a 2011 Honda Accord that I financed (approx. 16K) with an 8% interest rate & currently pay $350 a month with 48 months left on the loan.

I called the Credit Union I have an account w/ just to get an estimate of interest rates & payments they could give me.

The payoff amount right now is $14k & my CU could give me a 3.74% interest rate for 36 months, putting my payments at $413/mo.

Yes, the payments are higher than they currently are, but 1) I can swing it and 2) that's a whole year taken off my loan.

Would I be stupid to pass this up??  I'm thinking yes, but add'l input is never a bad thing.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Refinancing - Would I be a fool?

Lowering your interest rate while additionally lowering your payment term would significantly lower the amount of interest paid over the life of the loan, which is always a good thing. I would go for it!

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It sounds like a great deal to me.....Are there any other fees or anything associated with the refi ?   

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 8
cassie3783
Regular Contributor

Just called back because I forgot to ask about add'l fees and the loan officer said because I'm a current member, there are no add'l fees for refinancing the auto loan.

Message 4 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@cassie3783 wrote:

Just called back because I forgot to ask about add'l fees and the loan officer said because I'm a current member, there are no add'l fees for refinancing the auto loan.

Nice !   I'd jump on it then, it will save you thousands of dollars in payments..... Smiley Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 8
cassie3783
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the feedback!  I was pretty sure I'd be foolish not to go with it, but I like to have add'l opinions as well!

I have an appointment Friday afternoon to get all the paperwork done!! 

Yay for refinancing at a lower interest rate & term!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome and I just ran into the same type of deal not as good but I was wondering how this might affect my credit score if any of you might know because I'm trying to raise my score to get a better apartment or maybe even a house at some point.

So anyway I had a $13000 loan with 24% interest and 48 months to go at $324 a month and I thought it was time to try and do better. The best I could do was from capital one at 11% for 36 months paying $350 a month it's $26 a month more but saves me $2500 and 12 months. Was this a good move?

Message 7 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

No Brainer.  Also great that it's with a CU.  CU's rule.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.