Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risky Business

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Risky Business

Looking at some leftover Chevy Cruze's old model; seems to be some demo models out there dealers are trying to unload. Thought it may be a good way to shift the neg equity( I know its still there) and get a full new car warranty. One dealer I am working with is real aggressive on price; problem is the cars are at another dealer of theirs 400 miles away but said if I agree to purchase they would "get" the car for me. I would give them my trade; they give me a loaner for a few days until the car I signed for is transported and ready for me. Is this risky buying a "demo" car without seeing it? Or no biggie since its being ttiled as a new car? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Risky Business

Demos in general are no more risky than any other "slightly used" car, and they do come with new car warranties, so that helps too.

If I couldn't examine the car before I signed, I'd definitely ask tor ROR - conditional delivery.  As in, I have the chance to inspect the car when it arrives and my contract does not go into effect on it until I accept the vehicle.  If you can't get your dealer to agree to that - in writing - then at the minimum I'd get the VIN on "my" car and run that through AutoChek to check for reported collisions, etc. just in case.

Typically a demo car is low-mileage, and has been maintained and washed frequently, and hasn't been tortured like rental cars can be, but buying any vehicle you cannot look at is risky to a point.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not purchase site unseen. That's just me.

Some of these demos have been driven aggressively, others not so much. Yes they've been taken care of (oil changed, washed) but its still been driven, it's still been parked in parking lots and who knows if it's been dinged with a shopping cart unless you inspect it.
Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Something else to consider about buying a car from a lot 400 miles away... twice I've done this; in both cases the specific features/color I wanted wasn't available locally but they could "easily get it for me".  Sounded good...

Both times the car was in fine shape, but I wasn't told about the fee for the trip; one time was +/- $400, the second time was $500 to cover the cost of someone making the drive... and both times it was much closer than 400 miles (in the first case, less than 100 miles).  I didn't realize the extra fee until I was looking closely over the fine-print days later (and I didn't notice the fee on the first car until it happened the second time, which made me go look at the paperwork for the first).

I'm not saying in my case it would have been a 'deal-breaker', but it would have been nice to know I was adding an extra car payment simply because the car was coming from a different lot.  Since in this case we're talking about a demo it might be different, but it's at least worth knowing up-front so you can negotiate around it.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not going to buy a demo I have not seen from another lot. Car could have smoke smell ect. Not worth the risk, located another one I drove today and I am mulling over that purchase right now. Besides, my wife won't let me buy it.

Message 5 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Hey, if the wife isn't cool with it, then no good lol. Good decision to move on....with her help of course.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.