Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUV Shopping

tag
UnderEstimated
Contributor

Re: SUV Shopping

I would really look into the new Ford Explorer.  In terms of safety, fuel economy, and economical engine choices, it's definitely a winner.  You'd be surprised at the quality of Ford these days.  I currently drive a '07 Ford Fusion, with 90K on the odometer, and I've had zero problems.  I've only replaced the tires and changed the oil myself.  Still on original brake pads and rotors...But enough of that...

If you're really against the Blue Oval, I'd look into the Audi Q7.  I'm currently in Germany right now and I have one as a monthly rental.  Amazing SUV and the diesel gets great fuel economy.  I believe the US 3.0L TDI starts around $51K though.  Being here in Germany has really made me fall in love with Audi though...I recently had an A4 S-Line Avant and it was great too.  The manual transmission was firm and smooth and allowed me to get every bit of power out of the 2.0L TDI.

Message 11 of 32
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@UnderEstimated wrote:

I would really look into the new Ford Explorer.  In terms of safety, fuel economy, and economical engine choices, it's definitely a winner.  You'd be surprised at the quality of Ford these days.  I currently drive a '07 Ford Fusion, with 90K on the odometer, and I've had zero problems.  I've only replaced the tires and changed the oil myself.  Still on original brake pads and rotors...But enough of that...

If you're really against the Blue Oval, I'd look into the Audi Q7.  I'm currently in Germany right now and I have one as a monthly rental.  Amazing SUV and the diesel gets great fuel economy.  I believe the US 3.0L TDI starts around $51K though.  Being here in Germany has really made me fall in love with Audi though...I recently had an A4 S-Line Avant and it was great too.  The manual transmission was firm and smooth and allowed me to get every bit of power out of the 2.0L TDI.

After having 2 Fords, I'm just not a fan. The new ones are new and improved, I'm sure but I don't want to do Ford again. 

Are all Audis fueled by diesel? And I'm not looking to buy new. I'm getting a used vehicle next. I bought new once and I'll probably never do that again because depreciation is nothing nice on a new car.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 12 of 32
UnderEstimated
Contributor

No, many Audi's in the US are still gas.  But the diesels cost a little more $$$.  Well worth it in my opinion.  The trip computer in my Q7 is showing 38MPG right now with a decent combination of highway and city driving...And I'm sure the highway mileage isn't as good as it could be...I'm driving on the autobahn and enjoying the road.  Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 32
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@UnderEstimated wrote:

No, many Audi's in the US are still gas.  But the diesels cost a little more $$$.  Well worth it in my opinion.  The trip computer in my Q7 is showing 38MPG right now with a decent combination of highway and city driving...And I'm sure the highway mileage isn't as good as it could be...I'm driving on the autobahn and enjoying the road.  Smiley Wink

38 mpg? I don't think I've ever gotten gas mileage that good, even with a car. I'll definitely be looking into that in the next couple of years.

Message 14 of 32
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I'm currently averaging 16 mpg. :/

P.S. Have fun out there on the Autobahn but be safe! 

Message 15 of 32
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

@UnderEstimated wrote:

38 mpg? I don't think I've ever gotten gas mileage that good, even with a car. I'll definitely be looking into that in the next couple of years.

Audi is very big in Europe, Germany, Italy, etc. Not so much in the USA and that's a factor with service if there is not an Audi dealer near you especially when traveling outside your home base. The TDI Q-7 is rated at 17/25 mpg by the EPA and the base price is in the $52k area meaning dressed out, $60K. The other problem especially with Germany Lux cars (et al) is the cost of service. Do some research on the cost of a tune up, brake job, strut replacement (as examples) of a BMW, Mercedes, Audi vs a Chevy or Ford.

Yes I drove a friends A8 at 220kph on the Autobahn - great fun, great car - bit different from the 10 mph crawl we live with around here most of the time.

Message 16 of 32
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@frogfan12 wrote:

@UnderEstimated wrote:

Audi is very big in Europe, Germany, Italy, etc. Not so much in the USA and that's a factor with service if there is not an Audi dealer near you especially when traveling outside your home base. The TDI Q-7 is rated at 17/25 mpg by the EPA and the base price is in the $52k area meaning dressed out, $60K. The other problem especially with Germany Lux cars (et al) is the cost of service. Do some research on the cost of a tune up, brake job, strut replacement (as examples) of a BMW, Mercedes, Audi vs a Chevy or Ford.

Yes I drove a friends A8 at 220kph on the Autobahn - great fun, great car - bit different from the 10 mph crawl we live with around here most of the time.

True about the foreign cars. My car right now is semi-expensive for things such as oil changes if I get synthetic oil ($75+). Right now I'm still under warranty so I can only imagine how much things will cost when that ends. 

Message 17 of 32
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I have a Hyundai Tucson. It is probably smaller than what you want but it has all the features you want for a pretty good price. I got the "Limited" version- which is fully loaded and it only cost about $25K. You can't beat the warranty either and I haven't had any problems with it so far. I went crar shopping expecting to get the CRV and the Hyundai cars totally won me over.

If the Tucson is too small, you can consider the VeraCruz or the Santa Fe.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 18 of 32
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I guess Hyunda does not have OnStar though but it has everything else!!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 19 of 32
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I've looked at Hyundais a bit. I think I like their cars better because their SUVs seem a bit basic for my likes (that's what I get for buying a tricked out Tahoe first). 

Has anyone had any experience with the Lexus RX 350? I've been looking at those online and they are looking pretty good in terms of prices, specs, etc. I still have yet to find out if they have bluetooth. Please let me know if you guys know anything about the RX 350. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.