Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe from lawsuit?

tag
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Safe from lawsuit?

I had an auto loan that originated in 2005. In 2007 I started to fall behind on my payments, and by the fall it was repossessed. I was able to recover it by making a large payment, but then at the end of the calendar year it was seized by police because it was used in a crime by a relative (fortunately I had absolutely no involvement in that). At that point I had to help my family with much more pressing bills, so I (admittedly, stupidly) stopped making car payments. A couple months later they demanded the car, I explained that the police had it. They were quiet for a couple months, then started sending me a letter about every other month asking for payment (which again - stupidly - I just ignored). By July 2010, they officially charged-off the debt and sold it to collections. I got a few letters from different agencies, all of which I ignored. Then it went quiet for a couple years, until two months ago, when I got a letter from the original lender offering to settle for less than owed. I got another similar letter two weeks ago. The settlement offer is still way beyond my ability to pay - several thousand dollars.

I feel plenty of guilt about hiding from a debt. If I had the means I would pay, but my family still relies on me for support and I don't make much, so I just can't. What I need to know in the immediate term is whether or not I am safe from a lawsuit, since that would be devastating for both me and my family. The last payment I made was in January 2008, and the charge-off is dated July 2010 (not sure which, if either, of those would be the clock-starter on the statute of limitations).

Can anyone here tell me whether or not I can still be sued for this? Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer. I greatly appreciate it.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Safe from lawsuit?

You need to look up the SOL for your state for written contracts.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 6
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much for bringing that up - I had meant to include that above.

Both the state where the loan originated and the state where I currently reside have 6-year statutes of limitations for written contracts. Do you know how this would then apply to my situation?

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It's possible that the SOL clock would start at the time you became late and never brought the loan current again.     So if that was Jan '08 then 6yrs would be Jan of this year.     I'm not an attorney so you might want to talk to one if they are threatening you with a lawsuit.

CAs and creditors can still sue, even if the debt is out of SOL ~ you can use SOL as your defense.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

To add into pizza dude's comments, there are many attorneys that provide 1st consultation for free. If you can't find any, contact a local legal aid as well for free legal advice. It sounds like you are in a tight spot so don't bother wasting money talking to an attorney for now.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 6
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Thanks very much for the responses, I really appreciate it. As of right now I am not being threatened with a lawsuit, but it is something I worry about so I wanted to know whether I could stop worrying about being sued for this account. Receiving the latest offer to settle for less than owed made me nervous that if I didn't respond, a lawsuit might be next.

It sounds like I am not in fact out of the woods just yet, and if the creditor does take any further action I will take your advice and see if I can find an attorney that will do a free initial consultation.

Thanks again everyone.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.