Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santander consumer

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Santander consumer

My experience with them was horrible. Search for financing elsewhere if possible. Only use if no one else will approve you.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 22
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 22
scmami
Regular Contributor

I have them now. My credit was mid 500s when I applied. My rate is 16 something.I pay online via BofA bill pay (payment applies in 24 hours). I was late one time  and if I had not been so ignorant,I could have deferred my payment. They have been fine,just pay on time.

Current FICOs (Sept 2015) EQ: 666 TU: 663
Message 13 of 22
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

Incompetent Morons... But they will do just fine for now, I've never has a car loan before and they gave me the best rate I could find for a private party purchase(11.49%).

I bought a relatively inexspensive car in comparison to my income, decidely to improve my credit.

I plan to refi in 6-9 months. Also, Took the bastards 4 weeks almost to finalize my loan, I'm sure the seller was tired of me.....

Staring Scores:Transunion-636 Equifax-618 Experian- 640 (8/12):
Current Scores:Transunion-717 Equifax-(?) Experian 726(as of 11/18/13):

Goal 760 Across the Board:

Message 14 of 22
aplast
Regular Contributor

Haha yes.. since I refinanced I was worried about them releasing the title. Like coming back and changing the pay off or something rediculous.. or try and make my last payment late or something. but I actually got an email from santander saying the installment conctract had been fulfilled and they are going to release the title. That would have been a horror story! so when you do decide to refinance - you dont have to worry about them pulling anything Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 22
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

How many months before you applied for the refi? and what were your scores when you were approved for refi if you dont mind me asking?

Yea, from what I can see if I just pay my payments on time I should have no issues, most complaints i've seen on the web seem to stem from those who were late.

Message 16 of 22
aplast
Regular Contributor

I waited almost 9 months. Got the loan at a 611 Fico score and when I refinanced it I was at 656. I also got 3.39% as my rate Smiley Happy thanks to primeway fcu. Yeah Santander never harrassed me about anything.. I just read so many negative things about them it worried me that they would try to get one over on me... well one more besides that interest rate LOL

Message 17 of 22
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

That's awesome. That's definately my goal for at least this time next year.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

A buddy of mine just obtained financing through them on a his new whip.  Interest rate was kind of high, but that's to be expected when you're rebuilding.

Message 19 of 22
fuzzybean
Frequent Contributor

We had them when we needed a car loan 2 years after our bankruptcy.  While the rate was far too high, we had absolutely no problem with them at all.  I never paid online so I cannot comment on that.  I always paid through my bank two weeks prior to the due date and it was always posted on time.  When we refinanced with another lender, they were very helpful and everything went smoothly.  It shows paid as agreed on the credit report. 

From what I've read, as long as you stay current you'll be fine.  However, if you miss a payment things can go south and fast.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.