cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score requirement for USAA's best rates?

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Score requirement for USAA's best rates?

Anyone recently applied for a USAA auto loan than can help me guess if my wife is eligible for their lowest rate?

My score presently is 815, my wife's is 721. I wanted to keep the loan in her name in order to boost her score and so I don't have to take an inquiry and leave my score intact. However, I'm not willing to pay more interest by doing so, so I'm trying to find out if USAA views a 721 as high enough to receive the same rate I'm prequalified for. Some places put the threshold at 680, others at 740, so I'm not sure what to believe.

And yes, I know we can apply to find out, but for now just wanting to do some info gleaning first.

Loan application will be for $48k, household income is $180k, monthly expenses including mortgage are $3,500.
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Re: Score requirement for USAA's best rates?

I figured I would come back and answer this since no one had an answer.

My wife was approved for 72 months at 3.45% with a 721 score. I was approved at 2.25% with a 815 score. Jointly, we were approved at the 2.25% rate, so that's what we'll do. That way we pay the same interest but it will help her continue to rebuild her credit.

I was surprised that they didn't seem to factor her score into the joint calculation, as they would have with a mortgage. Maybe my score is high enough that it didn't matter?
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 2 of 3
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score requirement for USAA's best rates?

USAA may do it like NFCU in that they use the primary applicant's score in determining the rate...

My husband was co-applicant on our NFCU car loan in October and they based the rate offered on my scores.... before applying, I called to see if him being on the application would be a bad thing since his scores were lower... They said no, they don't even look at his scores.  They did pull his credit but didn't base the rate off his scores.

We got 1.79 for 60 months on a 45k loan.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.