cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for an auto loan. (First Time)

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Searching for an auto loan. (First Time)

IMO, it would be more beneficial to you overall if you started out with a very small car loan.  You do have a great start with your credit profile right now. Rather than diving into a huge payment with an extra huge insurance payment, why not start off with a used vehicle under $10k where you are financing less than 75%? This way you can pay the vehicle off timely, maybe even early and keep the full insurance in place without stressing your limited budget.

Check into full insurance coverage to get an idea of costs for the type of vehicle you plan to purchase so you can design your spending plan appropriately. Full insurance coverage is very high for everyone under 25 yrs old. You want to know the cost before you purchase the vehicle.

Remember to add in a repair budget too.  Be careful of "warranty's" - they are only as good as the contract and company that behind them. A warranty only covers what is written in the warranty contract. And it does no good at all if the company behind the contract is no longer in business or doesn't honor the warranty. If you decide you want one, read the entire warranty contract before you agree to pay for it. If the dealer says  no to you reading it, then pass on it.

The reason first auto loans have a higher rate is because you have to prove to the lender that you can make the installment payments over the entire period on time. If you do so without any issues until the vehicle is paid off, then you will be able to purchase any vehicle within your budget because you have a positive track record.

Good luck in your decision.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Searching for an auto loan. (First Time)

@Memo10 wrote:

Thanks for replying. I kind of figured it was too much of a loan.

How about a loan of $10,000-$15,000 for a used vehicle. Does that make it a little more realistic?

You can find some nice new vehicles for not much more.  My wife and I just bought a 2012 Kia Soul Base Automatic for $16,400.  It has power windows, locks, keyless entry, A/C, AM/FM/CD/XM/MP3, etc.  It actually came with all the standard bells and whistles that were extra on other similarly priced cars we looked at.  MPG is great as well and Kia has their awesome warranty.

Honda Fits are nice vehicles in that price as well.  Ford Fiestas are even cheaper and highly reviewed.  My wife and I didn't like the Fiesta as much, but many others love it.  But anyway, my point is perhaps you could even consider a less expensive new car in this range.  You will get a brand new full warranty and the depreciation affect doesn't hit nearly as hard.  Our $16,400 Soul is now valued at $15,000 after 2 months and 1300 miles (According to the CU we just refinanced with).

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.