Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sell or repo?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sell or repo?

Hello,

I wanted to get some feedback as to whether or not it's possible to sell a new vehicle? It's a month old (2015 Kia Optima), I make my first payment next week. The cost of the car was 25K, do I need to save up 5K before trying to sell it in order to cover the depreciation amount? Or should I let it repo? At this point I really don't have a choice but to get rid of the car somehow. My spouse tells me to take it back and cut my losses. 

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Sell or repo?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to get some feedback as to whether or not it's possible to sell a new vehicle? It's a month old (2015 Kia Optima), I make my first payment next week. The cost of the car was 25K, do I need to save up 5K before trying to sell it in order to cover the depreciation amount? Or should I let it repo? At this point I really don't have a choice but to get rid of the car somehow. My spouse tells me to take it back and cut my losses. 

Well that's a tough cookie, why not try to find someone to "take over"? In order to sell it you would need to have the pink slip in hand and in order to have the pink slip the vehicle has to be paid off, unless you find someone that's willing to give you the whole amount so you can pay it off, get the pink slip then transfer it to them. Personally if someone approached me with that idea I would walk away so fast. 

Can I ask you why you want to sell/repo it already?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

ojefferyo wrote:

Scot-Free wrote:

Hello,

Well that's a tough cookie, why not try to find someone to "take over"? In order to sell it you would need to have the pink slip in hand and in order to have the pink slip the vehicle has to be paid off, unless you find someone that's willing to give you the whole amount so you can pay it off, get the pink slip then transfer it to them. Personally if someone approached me with that idea I would walk away so fast. 

Can I ask you why you want to sell/repo it already?

Thanks for responding, I won't go into detail but my spouse isn't happy about it and all I can say is that it's been very uncomfortable for the past few weeks. It's sort of a get rid of the car or else situation. From the looks of things it's not likely that I can get rid of it so "or else" seems to be inevitable. 

Thanks again

Message 3 of 37
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear especailly when you're trying to rebuild. Hopefully you won't have to do a volunteer repo. In their eyes a repo is a repo and shows up as that.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 37
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Check with the dealership and see if they will "unwind" the deal.  It may cost you something, and they might not be willing to do it, but it never hurts to ask.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrJim wrote:

Check with the dealership and see if they will "unwind" the deal.  It may cost you something, and they might not be willing to do it, but it never hurts to ask.

I'll contact the salesman. 

Thanks

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrJim wrote:

Do you think I'd have a chance at trading it in for a used vehicle? I originally wanted a used vehicle but was talked into a new one, naturally. 

Message 7 of 37
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

You can trade it in...

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

You can trade it in...

Thanks! I'm formulating an email to the salesman now.

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

You can trade it in...

Thanks! I'm formulating an email to the salesman now.

I wish you the best but know going into this you are in a financially bad position.  Even if you can trade it in you are going to lose a ton of money on it.  If you didn't put a lot of money down on the initial purchase all that depreciation will be added to the cost of the used vehicle so I'm not sure you're going to end up in a better position.  The absolute worst time to try to trade a new car in is a month after you purchased it. Is your spouse's problem with the purchase about it being a Kia or the price?

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.