Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sell or repo?

tag
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Re: Sell or repo?

Always get approval from spouse before buying a car.....always

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

You can trade it in...

Thanks! I'm formulating an email to the salesman now.

I wish you the best but know going into this you are in a financially bad position.  Even if you can trade it in you are going to lose a ton of money on it.  If you didn't put a lot of money down on the initial purchase all that depreciation will be added to the cost of the used vehicle so I'm not sure you're going to end up in a better position.  The absolute worst time to try to trade a new car in is a month after you purchased it. Is your spouse's problem with the purchase about it being a Kia or the price?

The price. Hmmm, after reading your comment I wonder if I should even try. 

Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

Always get approval from spouse before buying a car.....always

I'll remember that with my next spouse *sigh*

Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

You can trade it in...

Thanks! I'm formulating an email to the salesman now.

I wish you the best but know going into this you are in a financially bad position.  Even if you can trade it in you are going to lose a ton of money on it.  If you didn't put a lot of money down on the initial purchase all that depreciation will be added to the cost of the used vehicle so I'm not sure you're going to end up in a better position.  The absolute worst time to try to trade a new car in is a month after you purchased it. Is your spouse's problem with the purchase about it being a Kia or the price?

The price. Hmmm, after reading your comment I wonder if I should even try. 

The last thing I want to do is be negative but  in order to get something less expensive would be to purchase a low priced used car but then you would have to add on the negative equity which would drive the cost back up and present difficulties in getting a new loan because of LTV concerns.  I wish I could give you encouragement but realistically your only options at this pont are to either do a voluntary repossession or live with the consequences regarding your spouse.  Certainly don't wants turn this into a marriage advice post but it sounds like you have issues there that need working on if a car purchase would cause this kind of problem.  A voluntary repo at this point with your scores will be disastrous for your credit.  If at all possible keep the car and save up the amount you will need to get out of it.  The other option you mentioned about them canceling the deal altogether isn't realistic.  I wish you the best.  Having been twice divorced I empathize with your situation.

Message 14 of 37
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

You will be worst than what you started with if you trade it in. They will not give you what's owed on the car.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sound advice y'all. I just hope my scores will be better in 6 months so I can refinance, in the meantime if things get too bad I can always sleep in the damn thing, jk

Message 16 of 37
coterotie
Established Contributor

I was going to respond, with suggestions, but I got nothing.

If it is more important to your spouse to be right than to do the right thing then I got nothing for you.  Tell him/her to suck it up you aren't ruining your credit to make that person happy.

@Anonymous wrote:

Sound advice y'all. I just hope my scores will be better in 6 months so I can refinance, in the meantime if things get too bad I can always sleep in the damn thing, jk

Message 17 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Something tells me if getting rid of the car will "solve" this, then getting rid of the car truly won't solve the problem's you and your spouse are going through. Don't ruin your credit. Be sorry for the mistake and move on as a couple. Personally, I'd rather put my money into a new vehicle than into repairing an older vehicle. I think you made the right move purchase wise. Live and learn, next time make the purchase as a couple.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the responses. Hopefully he'll come around. Lesson learned!
Message 19 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I appreciate the responses. Hopefully he'll come around. Lesson learned!

Maybe the Kia will grow on him.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.