Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sell, refi, or eat it?

tag
MostlyCloudy
Established Member

Sell, refi, or eat it?

I bought a brand new sportscar and carried over 11k negative equity with it. This resulted in a monthly payment of $560/month until 7/1/20. I am thinking about using my line of credit to pay off the negative equity and then selling it via private party. My LOC will cost me $180/month if I do this. The kicker is I also have 10k in credit card debt that is costing me $230/month. So basically I will have 2 maxed out credit lines but no more car payment. The total credit payments I would owe would be $410, for a net savings of $150/month plus reduced gas/insurance/maintenance costs. I estimate these to be roughly $50/month. I will of course be buying another car, only this time something sensible like a used clunker for 3k-4k in cash. So best case scenario I am saving $200/month to drive a piece of junk without any warranty. I am not in any dire straights, I just dont like the fact knowing I am so far upside-down on this car. It was a bad purchase and I feel the need to cleanse myself of it for being stupid. 

But, am I being stupid going through all this hassle in the first place? Would I be better keeping an open LOC, or doing a balance transfer from the higher interest rate card to the LOC (which would save me $50/month by itself), keeping a beautiful reliable low mileage sports car under warranty? Obviously I will have the car paid off one day, and when I do I will be the original owner of a very well maintained car with the comfort of knowing its full driving history. This perhaps has its own intrinsic value. 

The $200/month savings would just go towards groceries and other menial things. This isnt some life changing savings opportunity for me here. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Sell, refi, or eat it?

@MostlyCloudy wrote:

I bought a brand new sportscar and carried over 11k negative equity with it. This resulted in a monthly payment of $560/month until 7/1/20. I am thinking about using my line of credit to pay off the negative equity and then selling it via private party. My LOC will cost me $180/month if I do this. The kicker is I also have 10k in credit card debt that is costing me $230/month. So basically I will have 2 maxed out credit lines but no more car payment. The total credit payments I would owe would be $410, for a net savings of $150/month plus reduced gas/insurance/maintenance costs. I estimate these to be roughly $50/month. I will of course be buying another car, only this time something sensible like a used clunker for 3k-4k in cash. So best case scenario I am saving $200/month to drive a piece of junk without any warranty. I am not in any dire straights, I just dont like the fact knowing I am so far upside-down on this car. It was a bad purchase and I feel the need to cleanse myself of it for being stupid. 

But, am I being stupid going through all this hassle in the first place? Would I be better keeping an open LOC, or doing a balance transfer from the higher interest rate card to the LOC (which would save me $50/month by itself), keeping a beautiful reliable low mileage sports car under warranty? Obviously I will have the car paid off one day, and when I do I will be the original owner of a very well maintained car with the comfort of knowing its full driving history. This perhaps has its own intrinsic value. 

The $200/month savings would just go towards groceries and other menial things. This isnt some life changing savings opportunity for me here. 

^^^The one really good thing about this purchase is that you recognize it wasn't the wise thing to do (now you recognize it). Most of us have a similar purchase somewhere in our background. If not a car, then a house or some other not quite wise thing to do at that particular moment.

Learn from this purchase.

$11k upside down is huge especially on a depreciating asset.

If it were me, I would be getting rid of the vehicle ASAP by selling it and paying off the negative equity with the LOC if that was the only access I had to additional funds. I would try not to max out the line though. That could create other issues for you. This is your decision. It's a tough one to make, but better to take control of your finances while you can, rather than waiting until you are in a bind. JMO.

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Wait... More info please:

1. What is car?

2. Current balance?

3. Rate

4. What bank?

5. Who is loc with? Rate?

6. Who is credit card with? Rate? Bal/limit?

credit score? From when and where?

Message 3 of 8
MostlyCloudy
Established Member

1. What is car? - 2012 Ford Mustang

2. Current balance? - $39k

3. Rate - 2.75%

4. What bank? - Local credit union

5. Who is loc with? Rate? - Local credit union / 12%

6. Who is credit card with? Rate? Bal/limit? - AMEX / 17% / 10k/16k

7. credit score? From when and where? 727 avg / all 3 bureaus 2 months ago

Message 4 of 8
coterotie
Established Contributor

Here is another option that hasn't been mentioned:

What are you paying in insurance on the Mustang?

USAA offers a non-drive policy rider that costs about $60/year.  You notify them when you want to drive the vehicle and they only charge you for what you use. Or you can use the collector car policy to reduce the costs.  You might save more than 200/month in insurance doing this, especially if you are under 30.

You could use the LOC to buy your beater for cash.  Drive it with minimal insurance costs likely.

Use the difference in insurance costs to pay down the debt on the car.  Likely you could be right side up quickly since the interest rate is low.

So you will have a low mileage sports car that you are right side up in in short order.  When that happens sell the beater and drive the car with a clear conscience.

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@MostlyCloudy wrote:

1. What is car? - 2012 Ford Mustang

2. Current balance? - $39k

3. Rate - 2.75%

4. What bank? - Local credit union

5. Who is loc with? Rate? - Local credit union / 12%

6. Who is credit card with? Rate? Bal/limit? - AMEX / 17% / 10k/16k

7. credit score? From when and where? 727 avg / all 3 bureaus 2 months ago

I would be more concerned about the credit card right now and moving that to either Slate or how about your credit union that gave you the huge car loan, surely they would give you another $10k BT card!

I tend to agree with the other poster, at a 2.75% I wouldn't be in a rush to sell it off and pay off difference with 12% but we are talking about a ford mustang that will depreciate faster then anything... but you already took the most of that when you bought it in the first year... my as well ride it out little more now.

Message 6 of 8
blondy250
Established Contributor

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of it, 2.75% is not the worst rate. I'd pay down the credit cards, then attack the auto loan make double payments (one being a pricinciple only if allowed).

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 7 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@blondy250 wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of it, 2.75% is not the worst rate. I'd pay down the credit cards, then attack the auto loan make double payments (one being a pricinciple only if allowed).

Given the rate info on your LOC and your cards and the vehicle rate, it is probably a good idea to do as blondy says ^^^ as long as you don't go back and load up the cards again before paying off the corvet. OR do as coterotie suggests, but that would take a lot of restraint Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.