Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shady Car Dealership?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shady Car Dealership?

So I got 100% financing through NFCU. I had been on true car looking for the specific car I wanted and finally found it. The dealer's advertised price was $18,262.00 which is excellent. I went to go get it the same day But when I got there they were trying to change their story. They said that the price of the care was $18,868.00. I showed them their advertised price on true car and they begrudgingly agreed to the $18,262.00. But then the dealer comes with some Bulls*** about how the car has an anti-theft system on the car and It cost an additional $995.00. The dealer said he could not take the anti-theft system off so that If I wanted the car I would have no choice but to purchase the system. I was pissed. I told him that was false advertising and that if its something that can come off then it should have been included in the advertised price. Super shady. Then to add insult to injury he insisted on running my credit. I thought that was the whole point of getting my upfront financing from NFCU. So that there would be no need to go through the dealer and have them run my credit multiple times. When I asked him why he needed to run my credit he said its for identification purposes. He basically said the check that NFCU is just a check until its deposited in their account. So if the check bounces or is fake they still have all of my info and everything. Idk that part of it made sense but something just doesnt sit right with me about it. Can anyone give me some advice. Please and thank You!

3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Shady Car Dealership?

Yes, shady dealership.

Getting financing elsewhere is supposed to keep you from making a finance application at the dealer. The legitimate dealerships even have a different contract form for cash, which is what you are doing when you use outside financing. I really hope you didn't let them run your credit at the dealer. They have a tendency to shotgun the application so you end up with a bunch of hard pulls.

There is also a separate form that the dealer can use to check to make sure you aren't on the OFAC list. Read this article: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/cars/buying-a-car-dont-fall-for-the-patriot-act-credit-check-scam/

The comment he made to you about the check only being a check until it is deposited made me LMAO.  Yes, the check is meant to be deposited. I think the sales rep or finance guy is full of it. He was feeding you a line to get your info so he could make more money off you. I hope you backed away from the deal. 

Message 2 of 4
Appleman
Valued Contributor

In the fury of paperwork and smoke & mirror show they likely had you sign a form allowing them to run your credit.

If they did not, that could result in big trouble for the dealership.

They just wanted you to use their financing (source of profit). The link StartingOver10 should explain why they DO NOT need to run your credit to ensure you are not on the terror watch list.

I really hope you did not give this dealer your business. If they are trying to play games, walk....

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't walk but run from this dealership.  Unfortunately some dealers pull this crap regularly they put on cheap alarm systems that are useless (can't really steal a modern car through the ignition) or like in the case of a local dealership they put tint, pin stripes and "protection" on every car to mark them up from MSRP 1400 bucks.  This caused me to travel over 100 miles to buy my daughters Mazda because I refuse to do business with a dealer that does this crap.  They do this to pad their profit and to make you negotiate away the cost of crap you don't want or need.  Years ago I bought a truck with one of these alarms on them, I refiused to pay for it so they said I could just keep it on the truck. I ended up paying an alarm guy to remove it because it was causing issues and he showed me the damage they did to the wiring in the process of putting that crap on so even if they took that cost away you don't want it.  

Find another dealership

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.