Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping for best auto loan rate

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shopping for best auto loan rate

Hello all, newbie here.  I am in the market for a used car.  I know I will qualify for the loan, but wonder where is the best place(s) are to apply.  My scores are as follows : 802 Eq, 778(?) Ex, 804 Tu.  I stopped by my CU and their rate was 6.75% for 5yr, and 5.75% 4 yr.  I had heard of sites like Lending Tree, let you apply at several institutions at once.  I have also read on this site that Capitol One seems to be a popular auto lender as well.  The dealer was offering 3.99%, but the car he was selling was not up to the "Certified Pre-Owned" level in my mind.  One too many issues.  Can anybody make a suggestion on where I should look? 

TIA

Poirot

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shopping for best auto loan rate

The big question is: what are your expectations?

Most conventional banks will have a 5 year rate for a used car of 5.0% plus.

there may be some lower Promo rates out there, but I am not going to get involved with that.

A 3.9-4.9 rate at a conventional bank/credit union for a used car at 5 years is an exception.

Since there is no used car factory, you are limited by what a dealership has access too when looking for a used car.

You can yourself easily go to many banks websites and see what their current "best" rates are and apply if interested.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.  I didn't expect my CU to match the dealers financing at 3.99, it would be nice, but so would be world peace.  I didn't really know what to expect when I stopped by the CU, right across the street where I work.  I was actually just looking for a brochure or a rate sheet, but the branch manager corralled me into a seat.  Funny how that happens.  The last time I got a car loan was over 10 years ago.  I tend keep/drive a car till she won't go anymore.  It was a sad day when they hauled her off on a flatbed....

Other than looking at seperate banks and CU's, would you recommend sites like Lendingtree.com?

TIA

Poirot

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Other than looking at seperate banks and CU's, would you recommend sites like Lendingtree.com?

Knowing what I know from following this forum, No ,,,

And I'd avoid CrapOne auto loans as well,

Right now NASA Federal has 3.65% loans on 2005 and newer vehicles for 63-months, Joining NASA was a hard on EQ and I haven't app'd for any loans from them so I don't know what they pull for a loan, I refi'd with PenFed CU at 3.99 for 60-mo this past spring, they pulled EQ and TU,

I saw NASA After I refi'd with PenFed, 

Good Luck,

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.