Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping for best possible auto loan

tag
jht2
Contributor

Shopping for best possible auto loan

I recently app'd at NFCU and my local CU for an auto loan. NFCU gave me 21264 @11.79 (believe my balances hadn't updated) and local credit union gave me 26000 @6.49. I know I know not the prettiest of all apr's from both, however can NFCU match and or beat the other offer. Most of my paid of balances should update within the next 10 days.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Shopping for best possible auto loan

Hard to answer without context. What's your FICO right now? What's your util before the payoffs?

NFCU might be willing to match. Call them and see. Worst case, wait till everything updates and if your FICO goes up enough maybe you can beat both rates. Though 7% is nice to have in your pocket.

Message 2 of 6
jht2
Contributor

My fico when I applied for both loans was/is @ 645 with util. at a "pedestrian" 88% (I know, I know. We got a little crazy during the holidays). After new balances are reflected and NFCU $6000 cc are added  my util. drops to 12%. (W/o the new NFCU card my util is 23%).

Message 3 of 6
jht2
Contributor

Oh and I just remembered that I was recently approved for loc at NFCU which will further decrease util albeit next month.

Message 4 of 6
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Whoa 88% haha. Yeah, wait till that comes down to 10 or whatever. I'm guessing you're FICO will jump (hopefully to 680+).

Afterwards, pick one CU and apply (I recommend DCU). Or ask NFCU to redo their decision. Just don't apply too many times and watch out for when your 6.5% expires...that's your safety net. I'm betting the dealer will be able to get you <3% rates assuming you're buying new.

Don't forget to negotiate by email (there's a sticky here on how to get the best price). Good luck! Out of curiosity, what car are you getting?

Message 5 of 6
jht2
Contributor

I was initially looking at a truck tundra or f150 and just noticed prices have gone dramatically up after the Presidents' Day sale. There was a tundra dbl can sr5 2014 for $24900 but now it's at $29885
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.