cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Apply for Auto Loan or Wait Until Score Improves?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Apply for Auto Loan or Wait Until Score Improves?

I haven't got the bump yet from lowering my utilization rate (should be 30-100 points), it should go up in a few days.

TU is 654. 

Clean record, no lates, no collections, nothing.   Short history of about 4-5 years.

Own home free and clear, no mortgage.  Income around 60K, fixed expenses of $1,400 a month so I have a lot of disposable income.

Total debt: $891

I would take my time but my old car is dying.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I Apply for Auto Loan or Wait Until Score Improves?

How long are you looking to finance the car and about how much are you going to borrow ?   Are your previous auto loans in good standing ?

If you aren't planning on paying the auto loan down early, and will have the loan for years, then I would wait for the new balances to post before applying, you'll probably save a lot of interest over the life of the loan.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
FrugalRican
Blogger

When you say your old car is dying, define "dying".

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Borrow 16000-18000, finance 5 years, plan to pay it off in 2.    Previous auto loan paid off on time (no late payments) but this was back in 1997.

I need a new engine on my existing car, that is what I mean by dying. 

Message 4 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I would wait for your scores to bump up if your car can make it a few more weeks. If your auto loan is that old then it very likely won't be on your reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.