cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I CO-Sign to someone with bad credit?

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Should I CO-Sign to someone with bad credit?

i would agree for the most part. but since it is the op with the bad credit. im sure the person doing the co signer wants to make the payment in order to insure their credit does not take a hit.

When i co signed. i had friend make payments to me. in order.to protect myself. but. if they did not for any reason. i would make payment. and demand my money. otherwise i would be trying to get out of the deal. asap . thats why co signing even for family can be a scary affair. looking back . i would not do it. 10 years ago. did it . car got repoed. it got screwed. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should opt for car dealers that don't ask for cosigners.

Message 12 of 13
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

@mikemsceo wrote:

So I have "Insufficient" credit history.

This may seem like a silly question but i just want to make sure before i do anything.

If someone who does not have the best credit score, co-signs for me on an auto loan, will this score reflect on me?

Will this be my starting point regardless of my credit habits?

If they make a late payment (although they are co signing me) will that also reflect on me?

As already mentioned, what they do with their other lines of credit only affects them. If the car loan gets a baddie, it will affect both your scores. Regarding a "starting point", you prob will not qualify for the best rates if your co-signer also has bad credit, but you should be able to overcome this as long as you make timely payments, you may refinance later on (and maybe not need a co-signer at that point).

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.