Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Pay off Auto Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Pay off Auto Loan?

Hey guys,

I still have 12k on my auto loan original amount of 15k. The only reason I got the auto loan was because I wanted to build my credit. This was the first loan that I have ever gotten on my name. It has been open since Feb. The loan is for 48 months. Should I just pay off the loan right now? or should I wait another 4-6 months? I am paying 3.8% interest.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Pay off Auto Loan?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

I still have 12k on my auto loan original amount of 15k. The only reason I got the auto loan was because I wanted to build my credit. This was the first loan that I have ever gotten on my name. It has been open since Feb. The loan is for 48 months. Should I just pay off the loan right now? or should I wait another 4-6 months? I am paying 3.8% interest.

Thanks,

I am not clear on what your objective is to pay the loan off early.  The 3.8 interest is pretty good, especially for a first auto loan.

If you want to build your credit, you do that over time by showing you make full payments and early, or at least on time.  It isnt just a 9 month shot.

I would recommend letting it run for a good length of time, unless you need to free up the money, or decrease your DTI, like for a mortgage app.

Your installment loan is contributing to the credit mix portion of the Fico scoring model as well as your history and will bolster your scores.

Do you have at least 3 CCs now?  That is another essential part of establishing a good credit profile and score.  It doesnt matter what the amounts are, just that they are in good standing and report to all 3 CRBs.  After you are established, you can go for higher CLs.

HTH

Message 2 of 5
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Installment loans have a better affect on your score when more than 12 months of payment history reports. Your rate of 3.8% is very good for a first time buyer. Auto loans are fixed APR loans so the total interest is far less than the same amount owed on most any other debts. If you have other monthly obligations, put your money towards those for now and let the installment loan report open a little longer.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 3 of 5
juniornj23
Established Contributor

I've been there and the best you can do is pay more than your payment due and take a least a year to pay off. That will show a good payment history
Amex ED (2000) Amex BCE (2000) Amex macys (5000) Amex Gold , VENTURE (5000) MC PLATINUM (600) CAP QUICKSILVERONE (1250) CAP QUICKSILVER (4500) CAP QUICKSILVER (3500) PENFED AMEX (5000) PENFED CASH REWARDS (25,000) PENDFED REWARDS VISA SIGNATURE (20,000) UPROMISE (1000) NFL (4000) OVERSTOCK (2800) HSN (3200) DISCOVER IT(8500) AMAZON PRIME (10000) MARVEL(7000) BOF VISA(2000) BEST BUY VISA CITI (9000) BLISPAY (9000)Amex Magnet (10,000) Uber (3100)

WELCOME TO 100K CLUB . LAST APP 08/29/18 Credit Score 8 TU 720 EQ 705 EX 724

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 720
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

CARD I want .
Chase Freedom and US cash +

Now back to the garden until 2020
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much does having a CLOSED auto loan help? I know you take a hit when your pay off your last installment loan, but how much better off are you with a closed installment loan vs none at all?

Assuming otherwise good history with revolvers.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.