Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Refinance Now or Wait?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I Refinance Now or Wait?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone.  Newbie here with my first post.  I'm kinda lost here, so would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm working on improving my credit.  I'd like to refinance the current loan I have with GM financial.  I bought a 2013 Chevy Equinox in February of this year.  My payment is $359/month for 72 months at 11.35%.

My initial thought was to wait a year and try refinancing then.  The thought was that my credit would be better at that point.

This week, I applied for & was approved for some credit cards, thinking they would help my scores increase over time.  I got the GM buypower ($300), citi double cash ($1000) & DCU ($1000).  

I started looking into DCU after reading about them on the boards.  I spoke with someone in the loan department who told me with my score of 630 (EQ fico 5), if I was approved, I'd get 5.99%.  They would also use the hard pull from earlier this week.

Any thoughts on if I should apply for this now or wait a bit for my 3 new cards to start reporting.  Credit wise, I've always had to take whatever loan was offered & I feel unsure about what to do, now that I'm starting to have options.  Would appreciate everyones opinions.  Thanks!

Yes I think it's a perfect time for you to refinance at 5.99%

And don't apply for any credit cards or other things for awhile.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 15
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Congrats, glad the information helped and good luck in getting the process completed quickly.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I decided to call DCU yesterday to follow up on my loan application. Finally got to talk to someone and was told the loan was funded and that i was approved. As stated previously, I will go from 11.35% to 5.49%. Payments from $360/month to $320/month.

This brings up a new question for me. I guess I'll have a lot for the forum going forward, since I'm trying to do whatever I can to improve my credit as much & as quickly (i know, this is an excrutiatingly slow process, lol) as possible. Based on my current credit card debt, what would be the best use of the $40 each month.

Scenario A: Put it towards paying down one of my credit cards.

Scenario B: Pay it towards the auto loan principle. I believe DCU has this option, will investigate further.

My focus right now is to still pay down my credit cards, ensuring that each statement is reporting a lower balance than the last. I'm putting the Capital One cards away & will only be using my Citi Double Cash card for items I can pay off immediately. That way I'll be earning money as well. I will charge something small or put a small recurring payment on the other cards each month. For my Loft card, i usually buy 1 or 2 things, then pay the minimum of $27 each month. I'm also planning to garden for a while to let my accounts age a bit. My balances are as follows and are listed in order of acquisition. I added the interest rate because I wasnt sure if that mattered.

Capital One Secured - 571/800 - 23.15%
Capital One QuicksilverOne - 1108/2000 - 23.15%
Loft 53/750 - 25.24% (recently received a 500 cli)
GM Buy Power Card 0/300 - 0% until 7/17, then 23.15%
Citi Double Cash 0/1000 - 0% until 4/17, then 23.24%
DCU Visa - 0/1000 - 18.0%

Lastly, I did inquire about increasing my credit limit on the DCU credit card, but was told that since it was already issued, I would have to wait a year. No biggie, I'm just happy to have the card & an opportunity to show my credit worthiness as I improve. Just sharing in case anyone was interested.

:-)

Message 13 of 15
EddieK
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This brings up a new question for me. I guess I'll have a lot for the forum going forward, since I'm trying to do whatever I can to improve my credit as much & as quickly (i know, this is an excrutiatingly slow process, lol) as possible. Based on my current credit card debt, what would be the best use of the $40 each month.

Scenario A: Put it towards paying down one of my credit cards.

Scenario B: Pay it towards the auto loan principle. I believe DCU has this option, will investigate further.

Put it towards your CC debt.  You're paying 5.49% interest on the car, CCs are way higher than that.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 14 of 15
jrands
Regular Contributor

Concur, put the extra $40 on revolving debt. If I understand things correctly, high revolving debt is seen as more of a negative than installment debt.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.