cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute RV loan to clean up report before applying for Auto Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I dispute RV loan to clean up report before applying for Auto Loan?

This is my first posting...so please go easy on me Smiley Happy

My husband filed for BK7 and it was discharged 10/2010. 

We have an RV loan through 5/3rd Bank that was not reaffirmed.  At the time, we relied on our bk attorney to guide us through the whole process, and he never told us that we would need to reaffirm.  So, mistake made.

We have continued to make on-time payments on the loan, as we still have it in our possesion (and want to keep it!).

In anticipation of needing an auto loan in the next 2 months, I pulled my husband's credit reports and see that the RV loan is showing as included in the BK and "Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 04/2017".  UGH....SO CLOSE!!!!

April is definitely longer than we are able to wait to purchase a new vehicle, as my current auto is on it's last legs.

My question is - Should I attempt to dispute the credit line as reported to show that we have continued to make payments?  Or should I just not mess with it and take the derrogatory "hit" when we apply for the new auto loan?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Mid-February is the longest that I can wait to purchase a vehicle.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should I dispute RV loan to clean up report before applying for Auto Loan?

Don't mess with it. All the tradelines that were open at the time of filing should show IIB and zero balance as of the filing date. You are better off not reaffirming the RV loan - so your Bk attorney did the right thing. 

How long do you have remaining on the RV loan?  The reporting date until April 2017 may be different than the payoff date. If you don't know, take a look at your original paperwork for the RV loan. 

Since it has been more than 6 years since his discharge, you should be able to get a CU auto loan before you go shopping for a vehicle. 

What are your FICO scores and your husband's FICO scores?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your quick advice.

RV loan has $5,477 remaining with a payoff date of 6/27/2018.

My husband last pulled FICO scores earlier this month - EXP 656  TU 647  EQ 684

My scores will not be considered for any financing, as I am a stay at home mom with no income.

I just paid our Capital One Quicksilver credit card balance down to 19% utilization with a $7,497 recent payment.  The current balance $3,177.93, credit line $16,500. 

Should I pay down to zero to get the best credit bump or should I leave a balance?  This credit line typcially reports to credit bureaus around the 8th of the month.  So, this payment should give him a solid score bump in early January.

Other credit lines -

Admirals Bank installment loan - current balance $11,711

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am now attempting to join NFCU as we are not currently a member of a CU.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.