cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I feel bad about wanting to get a $60-70k car?

tag
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I feel bad about wanting to get a $60-70k car?

@Anonymous wrote:

Forget what these people are saying. So many downers. Do it man. If you can afford to do it, do it. Get a car that makes you feel alive, one that leaves you enjoying every drive. We spend so much time in our cars, it might as well not be mediocre. You have one life to live. You are at the perfect age to. The older you get, you start mortgage then kids or vise versa. At that point, it would be really stupid to go out and have such a financial burden. Do it now while you have the freedom to and can enjoy it. Financial responsibility doesn't mean you go to your grave with your money. You don't work had to just watch it sit in a bank. If it puts a smile on your face and increases your personal quality of life, DO IT!. I make 110k and im buying an R8. Every one is speaking against it untill they see me grinning ear to ear going down the road. 

x2 listen to this guy, he preaches good life......... lol I make the same salary as you but I didn't go as far as an R8, just recently picked up an M235i EB, 6 speed manual.

I don't have a mortgage and no other debt so it was a go for me!

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 31 of 50
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

All this "living the high life and loving it" business is fine. More power to you IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO INTO LONG TERM DEBT FOR IT. If you can pay cash or if you make so much money that even a luxury car payment barely puts a blip in your budget, great.

But the OP (or his friend) just barely might qualify for this big car loan and will carry a big debt burden (for a possession of diminishing value) for years to come.

How many of us did stuff like that at 25 and later excruciatingly wished we hadn't?

Maybe it's a mistake the OP/friend has to make, but it's still a mistake.

Message 32 of 50
HiFromSeattle
New Contributor

That M235i is a beauty. If I don't end up going with an M2, I'll take a good look at that one, as it is likely to save me $10k.

I do want to comment on the "investment" remarks. I don't consider cars investments, much in the way I don't consider food, wine, beer, theme parks or vacations investments. I don't buy them thinking at the end, there is some monetary value to be gained.

These M cars are modern classics and will join their predecessors as collector cars in 15-20 years. If I buy one of these, I plan on driving the wheels off (so to speak) and will likely keep it as my main car until the loan is paid and the warranty is out, then i can see myself having her in the garage for special weekend trips or cruises and using another, pedestrian car has a day to day driver.

I also want to comment on income and debt burden:

First of all, to assume that I will be making $85k 5 years from now when my car loan is almost up is not very likely. Not that I am planning on making a ton more (to be conservative), but I have been out of college for two years and have doubled my salary in those two years. Annual reviews get me 3-4% raise + bonus, which means If I never get promoted again, I'll still hit 100k by the time this car loan is nearly done (also not including any bonuses).

Say I lose my job. Fine, I'll sell it cut my few thousand dollar loses and learn. However, I have enough in the bank to make my payment for 6 months before missing a payment TODAY and I have 10 more months to save before making a decision.

Message 33 of 50
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

@HiFromSeattle wrote:

That M235i is a beauty. If I don't end up going with an M2, I'll take a good look at that one, as it is likely to save me $10k.

I do want to comment on the "investment" remarks. I don't consider cars investments, much in the way I don't consider food, wine, beer, theme parks or vacations investments. I don't buy them thinking at the end, there is some monetary value to be gained.

These M cars are modern classics and will join their predecessors as collector cars in 15-20 years. If I buy one of these, I plan on driving the wheels off (so to speak) and will likely keep it as my main car until the loan is paid and the warranty is out, then i can see myself having her in the garage for special weekend trips or cruises and using another, pedestrian car has a day to day driver.

I also want to comment on income and debt burden:

First of all, to assume that I will be making $85k 5 years from now when my car loan is almost up is not very likely. Not that I am planning on making a ton more (to be conservative), but I have been out of college for two years and have doubled my salary in those two years. Annual reviews get me 3-4% raise + bonus, which means If I never get promoted again, I'll still hit 100k by the time this car loan is nearly done (also not including any bonuses).

Say I lose my job. Fine, I'll sell it cut my few thousand dollar loses and learn. However, I have enough in the bank to make my payment for 6 months before missing a payment TODAY and I have 10 more months to save before making a decision.

Strange how you seem to know all the intimate details of your "friends'" financial life. I'm pretty sure none of us are dumb enough to believe you are posting this for a "friend". Anyways..

That's cool that you saved enough to make 6 months of car payments. Can you also pay your rent/mortgage & every other bill you have should you lose your job? Or were you planning on living in the car?

If you dont want to learn from people that have been there & done that, then go ahead and learn those mistakes. I know I did because I was too stubborn & stupid way back when, when I thought I knew it all. Anyways, good luck with all that bro/sis.

Hopefully you won't come out the way I did. Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 50
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@HiFromSeattle wrote:

This is good (if, as noted above, you also have enough to pay all your other bills, too).

There are really three issues here:

1. Whether you can qualify for the loan/afford the payments now.

2. Whether you can handle the payments if your finances go south.

3. Whether you will love this car (and this decision) five years from now as much as you love it at the moment you drive it home.

If you've got #1 and 2 taken care of, great. My bigger concern for you isn't that you'll end up in serious trouble, just that you'll end up saying "Why the ^%$#(*^ did I yoke myself to this big payment on this car? Why am I throwing all this interest money into a black hole? And now the car's underwater and I'll take a loss if I sell it. Why am I paying so much for so little real value?" You'll be carrying a big burden when you're just getting started on your career and your adult life.

This, it seems to me, is the more common reason why buying an expensive car when just starting out in a career is a mistake.

It's your call of course.

Message 35 of 50
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

My wife works with doctors. Residents after they are done have a right of passage, they all buy (lease, finance...they are cash poor), buy brand new cars, luxury cars. They have an image to uphold. They have student loans in the 6 figures. They have nice homes, they have more 6 figure loans. The typical doctor has several hundred thousand in all kinds of loans. Sometimes they have a vacation home, which they borrow for. They sure do look successful with all their nice homoes and cars. 

In the office, my wife may occassionally see on the PC screen, an amex email (doctor left open his email), ..overdue payment. A phone mssage from "cash call" about a loan or something. Doctors who are 65 years old....still working because he can't afford to retire, all those loans and 5 degrees (yes 5 degrees he borrowed money for to attend the best schools), can't let him. His kids private schools/colleges, his moretgage payment. In all he confided in her he is $1.6 million in debt. Gotta keep working. But he just bought a brand new car, his old one was too costly to repair. Even if he sellshis $3M home, and pays off all his debt, he'll only have a few hundred thousand left. Other doctors do the same thing, especially with nice cars, the doctors parking structure is full of nice cars.

The point is, the OP with high income and no baddies, like these doctors will likely qualify for the car. He wants it, he should buy it and enjoy it, he seems to have thought about different possibilities. Given how strongly he feels, he should do it knowing full well the responsibility he is taking on.

Message 36 of 50
HiFromSeattle
New Contributor

Rebuilding69 wrote:

Strange how you seem to know all the intimate details of your "friends'" financial life. I'm pretty sure none of us are dumb enough to believe you are posting this for a "friend". Anyways..

That's cool that you saved enough to make 6 months of car payments. Can you also pay your rent/mortgage & every other bill you have should you lose your job? Or were you planning on living in the car?

If you dont want to learn from people that have been there & done that, then go ahead and learn those mistakes. I know I did because I was too stubborn & stupid way back when, when I thought I knew it all. Anyways, good luck with all that bro/sis.

Hopefully you won't come out the way I did. Smiley Happy

I am the friend and magically I know everything about my own personal financial profile. Go figure, right?! 

You clearly didn't read any of my other posts or clearly understand my finances before replying. Don't be a negative nancy just because you made some huge financial mistakes and are regretting them now. 

Gunnar419 wrote:

This is good (if, as noted above, you also have enough to pay all your other bills, too).

There are really three issues here:

1. Whether you can qualify for the loan/afford the payments now.

2. Whether you can handle the payments if your finances go south.

3. Whether you will love this car (and this decision) five years from now as much as you love it at the moment you drive it home.

If you've got #1 and 2 taken care of, great. My bigger concern for you isn't that you'll end up in serious trouble, just that you'll end up saying "Why the ^%$#(*^ did I yoke myself to this big payment on this car? Why am I throwing all this interest money into a black hole? And now the car's underwater and I'll take a loss if I sell it. Why am I paying so much for so little real value?" You'll be carrying a big burden when you're just getting started on your career and your adult life.

This, it seems to me, is the more common reason why buying an expensive car when just starting out in a career is a mistake.

It's your call of course.

I think you are spot on. These are the 3 major questions in this situation. Personally, I think I am less worried about #2, but #1 and #3 are the big questions for me, which is why I am giving myself nearly a year to a) prepare b) test drive and hopefully get a chance to rent similar cars to see if they make me smile day to day as much as I think they would.

Also on that note: I have 10 months where my accounts will be another year older, any hard inquiries will disappear, potential for credit limit increases, etc. It could be very possibly my score hits 800 by next April/May. I have 5 cards, use them, pay them off and my score has grown every month for a year. I'll also have another year of car payments under my belt. I will say that I am looking for an APR of around 3%. If for some reason I can't get that, I'll either put more money down or just pass until another 10-12 months. Not taking out a 6% car loan on a $65,000 car.

Message 37 of 50
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I have an M235i. $57k . Put 20k down. Payment is $475. DO IT! Im on the list for an M2 in long beach blue too. 😎😎 I am 26 too!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 38 of 50
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

BMW has 0.9% aprs right now...

I have a 36 month owner's choice loan, when it is up I plan to refinance.

MY CAR IS MY LIFE. These m235i and M2s are RARE!

I listed mine online the other day for more than what I paid for it nine months ago, and I had people wanting to buy it in cash within two hours.

I am so excited for M2!!!!!! My M235i is alpine white with black leather! And I put carbon fiber mirror caps on her 😎 My huge down payment is what helped me!!!

I live in Dallas, and I have seen maybe three other M235is in the whole DFW.

Do it do it! These cars retain their value... They are more of a collector's item... Not like a Toyota Corrola 💁🏼🏃🏽
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 39 of 50
HiFromSeattle
New Contributor

What do you mean by "I'm in line for an M2" exactly? Also, do you seriously have a $200k credit card limit (combined)? How the hell is that even possible?!

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.