cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I feel bad about wanting to get a $60-70k car?

tag
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I feel bad about wanting to get a $60-70k car?

@Anonymous wrote:

Had to double check the plate, it sounds like you are from Texas!! haha

Not Texas...  Seattle metro. The plate fits the car... Smiley Happy

Regarding the online searching....

Before the Internet, if you were the victim of a fraud or in a hit-and-run in which the other driver fled the scene, you would have to make a formal request with the Department of Motor Vehicles of the particular state in which the driver had licensed his plate. Today, you can instantly access a person's basic information, such as first and last name, address, model and make of car and other items, on the Internet. If you need to look up a license plate in Washington state, there are a number of websites to which to turn.

Anyone can drop $50 to get someone's name and address from a license plate search.  I don't lose sleep over it.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 21 of 50
HiFromSeattle
New Contributor

Back on topic:

Rmitchell thanks for the response. Interesting to see that someone who makes $60k more than me has a smaller auto loan. I'm certainly not trying to front here: don't want an expensive car and then go home and eat ramen everyday.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living and do you have more than one income source?
Message 22 of 50
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

But I understand the philosophy of you only live once and enjoyiing life when you are young, especially as a single young male; seems like you have everything together.....I say go and get the luxury car and enjoy it. You are 100% aware of both sides of the argument and financial impacts.

Message 23 of 50
incognitony
Frequent Contributor

Narcissism is a gift for all ages.

I've known people who drive new cars and their houses are falling in and I've known people who have a nice house and drive a beater. Its a personal choice that ultimately none of us will reap the rewards or have the buyer's remorse. I would buy the car if you like it and think its worth it but not to impress others.

Message 24 of 50
Pway
Valued Contributor

Your friend is not the only one who wants a 60-70k car.  In my honest opinion I say go for it.  Your friend makes a income that far succeeds the income that an average 25 year old makes.  It seems that he/she has it plan outlined and I say go for it.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 25 of 50
ando35
Frequent Contributor

If someone making 85 got a 40-45 car that would be ok. 

If you want a 70 thousand car you are spending way too much for your income. And if you have kids yes you should feel bad if you want to spend that much on a car.

Get an Q50 or an A4? Isnt that enough? 

Message 26 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

honestly this probably isnt the smartest move

but if he wants the car badly enough and can afford it then he should go on ahead

based on his history he prob wont be able to a secure a prime apr on the loan unless he has a good cosigner

when it comes to BMW id honestly just lease one if he wanted one so badly they depreciate heavily and are expensive to maintain

since your friend is willing to spend so much im sure he values having the car more then investing with the money

i would reccomend he starts a business on the side so he gets tax credits on the lease and just get a new whip every few years if he wants to stunt that way

Message 27 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget what these people are saying. So many downers. Do it man. If you can afford to do it, do it. Get a car that makes you feel alive, one that leaves you enjoying every drive. We spend so much time in our cars, it might as well not be mediocre. You have one life to live. You are at the perfect age to. The older you get, you start mortgage then kids or vise versa. At that point, it would be really stupid to go out and have such a financial burden. Do it now while you have the freedom to and can enjoy it. Financial responsibility doesn't mean you go to your grave with your money. You don't work had to just watch it sit in a bank. If it puts a smile on your face and increases your personal quality of life, DO IT!. I make 110k and im buying an R8. Every one is speaking against it untill they see me grinning ear to ear going down the road. 

Message 28 of 50
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Forget what these people are saying. So many downers. Do it man. If you can afford to do it, do it. Get a car that makes you feel alive, one that leaves you enjoying every drive. We spend so much time in our cars, it might as well not be mediocre. You have one life to live. You are at the perfect age to. The older you get, you start mortgage then kids or vise versa. At that point, it would be really stupid to go out and have such a financial burden. Do it now while you have the freedom to and can enjoy it. Financial responsibility doesn't mean you go to your grave with your money. You don't work had to just watch it sit in a bank. If it puts a smile on your face and increases your personal quality of life, DO IT!. I make 110k and im buying an R8. Every one is speaking against it untill they see me grinning ear to ear going down the road. 

Yup, marketing 101, sell them the dream and they'll love the "experience" of selling their soul to the company store.....

Message 29 of 50
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

That's why I drive a 2015 Dodge Challenger and not a 2015 Kia Rio.

I also don't care about being the richest person in the graveyard.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.