Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I keep GAP insurance?

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Should I keep GAP insurance?

So I purchased GAP insurance for my vehicle but not really sure if I need it now. I have less than a month to contact the dealership to recieve full refund credit to my account balance. GAP insurance was $750. My current account balance is around 11k on a 2011 Hyundai Accent. Keep it or cancel it?

Thanks in advance

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
remarc
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I keep GAP insurance?

Gap insurance is designed so if your car gets stolen or its a write off from a accident & the insurance company doesn't pay u enough to cover the loan.
So question is : do u owe more than the car is worth? If u don't & it's significant then I would not keep the gap insurance.
Message 2 of 30
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

I'd keep it. Why are you wanting to cancel the policy? My local dealer told me they don't issue money to customers on policy refunds (GAP & Maintence Plans). It just comes off your total loan balance so while your payments stay the same it just shortens your term. No idea how your dealer runs things.

I put $1500 down on my '13 sonata..$500 from competitor coupon and $1000 for financing thru HMFC and took the GAP.

Message 3 of 30
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I would keep it.

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 4 of 30
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

Keep it. 

DH didnt have it on his first two cars in 2006 & 2007.  The first one was totaled after 6 months - broken axel, but otherwise fine. We are STILL paying the loan off because he had no GAP so no coverage for the loan. The second one in 2007, he still didnt get GAP and it was totaled a few months later. Still paying for this loan too -becaue he didnt have GAP. All cars since have had GAP!!! Totaled another one in 2011 (not his fault this time), and GAP covered the loan.

Its not a waste of money - keep it.

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 30
kittenkatt79
Established Member

Is there a difference between GAP coverage purchased at a dealer vs. GAP coverage purchased through your regular car insurance company?  I have GAP coverage for my new Kia Soul through Esurance and it's about $3/month. 

Cards: Amex BCE $9000 (9/2012), Citi Forward $8000 (6/2012), Discover More $7000 (5/2012), Chase Freedom $1200 (7/2008), Cap1 Platinum MC $4750 (7/2007)

FICO Scores: 753 TU (4/2013), 744 EX (9/2012), 713 EQ (8/2012)
Message 6 of 30
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

The GAP policy I had through insurance (Progressive) was limited to a certain percentage of the vehicle value. Although this would probably cover the shortfall if the vehicle was not totally underwater it may not cover the full loan in all cases. The GAP purchased with the loan will generally cover the remainder of the loan (with a small deductible in some policies) and is not dependent on vehicle value.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 30
Robertwd82
New Contributor

Wholesale value on your car is around 8k-9k so i would say keep it, but compare the price of it through your insurance company to the price you would get back.  Chances are its cheaper through your car insurance because you can pay monthly on it and then cancel once you have reached a point when you have equity in the car.

Message 8 of 30
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

If your gonna get GAP insurance just get it from the Dealer. The GAP that insurance companies offer are horrible in comparison.  

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110928/FINANCE_AND_INSURANCE/110929906

Message 9 of 30
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

GAP is just another way for auto dealers to make money.  If the consumer does the right thing, and puts a good down payment on a car, GAP is not needed at all.  Your automotive retailer will pay RETAIL value of the vehicle if it's stolen/totaled.  

People who put no money down, also cost themselves thousands more in charges, and should have GAP insurance also.  Put the most money down you can, get the lowest interest rate possible, and the shortest term you can afford.  You wont need GAP.  Also, be responsible on the road.  There's no such thing as an accident.  It's negligence.

NewbieReed.........

Having 3 cars totaled in 6 years..... I'm sorry, but you two have issues.  Either start putting yourselves in better driving situations, or start leaving as much room as you can between others.  There's NO excuse for having to make THREE totaled claims on your insurance in 6 years.  No wonder why we all pay so much for insurance.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.