cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay off current car loan before financing new car loan with TFS?

tag
Mikey41
Established Member

Should I pay off current car loan before financing new car loan with TFS?

I was18 years old and financed my first car with TFS. I am going to buy a new car in August; at that time I will owe $5000 on my car. I heard that paying off the car loan may affect my credit score but I want to improve my score from 708 to get a 0% or 1.9% APR from TFS again.  I also will have $3000 cash downpayment. Should I try finance with the existing loan or pay off loan before August then finance car?

Condition: USED Scion Xa 2006

APR: 7.54

Down Payment: $4000

Monthly Payment: $238

Term: 48 months

Total Finance: 9854

Credit Score: 627

I was delighted because no one consigned and I knew I could've afforded any car payment with my steady job.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I pay off current car loan before financing new car loan with TFS?

If you are trading the car in and it is worth more than what you owe, don't worry about it.

Being a returning customer with a 700+ score. You should be golden. Don't accept anything worse than promo terms.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 5
Mikey41
Established Member

I want to give the car to my little sister so that. I dont want to give up the car since its a good deal. Back then my parents refused to cosigned the car so I took any loan and rate from them but this time I will hustle them or leave the dealership without their car. 

Thanks for the advice!

Message 3 of 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

If you are keeping the car. Your current payment will count against you DTI wise. If your income covers both payments, you have nothing to worry about.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

If you want to pay it off, pay it off. No reason to be paying interest if you don't need to.

If your score dips, it will quickly recover.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.