Did you mean: 

Should be a CRIME -- 11 inquiries in 1 hour? -->

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should be a CRIME -- 11 inquiries in 1 hour? -->

@TRC_WA wrote:

@StartingOver10 wrote:

The careless spraying of your app all over the place by auto dealerships is one of the reasons it is best to go to a CU where there is only one inq and not many. Natually the interest rate and terms of a CU usually beat an auto loan except in the case of a zero promo type rate for new autos.

I actually did that.  Smiley Happy

I had a pre-approval from my own CU BECU for $28k... my previous loan with them was $22k and they wouldn't budge when I tried to go higher.

Problem was my dream car was $40k.  Dealer got me financed with another CU out of Vancouver, WA at a slightly higher rate (4.49% vs BECU's 3.99%)... I can't really complain.  I got the car for $0 down...  it worked out for me in the end and I will refinance in the next 8-12 months when my reports are free and clear of my BK13 and my scores are well into the 700's.

Smiley Wink

^^^That is a good reason too. The dealership does have the pull to get your app through for more $$ or in some cases to jump over some other hoop. I do believe that CU's are best most of the time -but there definately is a place to have the dealership get your financing. Your case is one of them. Living out the 11 inqs in the OPs case is a matter of waiting a year for them not to affect the score and two years to drop off. In the grand scheme of life, not such a long time to get your dream car!

Message 11 of 15
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your new car.  11 HPs' is tough to swallow and I wonder if you communicated clearly to the dealer that you had your own financing in place?  I think of my own experience a few months ago and I would like others that will read this thread to know how to protect themselves from the sharks at the dealerships and used car lots.

I read thru this thread but I dont recall reading where you told them NOT to pull your credit.  Your CU gave you 3.5 pct. Did you allow the dealership to shop you ?  I remember before I piurchased my car a few months ago, I test drove several at different dealerships. All requested my Drivers License prior to handing me the keys. I specifically told each one, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF PULLING MY CREDIT. I was serious and they knew it. Even then, I ended up being soft pulled by some dealership clearing house called Wilson Technologies from one dealership.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 12 of 15
Neverknewaboutcredit
Valued Member

Well from reading many post on these forums I have learned the hit to my score is only temporary and the score will be back, but where my mistake was made and anyone reading this be aware, 

1. I choose my car and dealership

2. I talked to the CU for financing 

3. Went into the dealership and told them to call my CU for financing, they said no problem we work with them everyday,so I proceeded with the paperwork and after all was done and car delivered, here comes the emails alerts.

WPCU visa $30K , Amex BCE 15K,Amex Hilton Surpass $9k, Cap1 Business Spark $4.5k, Sync Lowes $25K,GECU visa $5k, Cap1 QS visa $20K, Discover $20.8K Citi/Home Depot $5K, Citi/Costco visa $12K,US Bank Kroger visa 15K, US Bank Cash + $10K, Huntington Voice MC 10K, 5/3rd Real Life MC 10K
Message 13 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Neverknewaboutcredit wrote:

Well from reading many post on these forums I have learned the hit to my score is only temporary and the score will be back, but where my mistake was made and anyone reading this be aware, 

1. I choose my car and dealership

2. I talked to the CU for financing 

3. Went into the dealership and told them to call my CU for financing, they said no problem we work with them everyday,so I proceeded with the paperwork and after all was done and car delivered, here comes the emails alerts.

Usually the CU gives you the proper paperwork to give to the finance guy at the dealership. 

The dealership actually uses a different contract when you bring in your own financing IME.

Sounds like you were working with an unscrupulous F&I guy that did his best to get you off the CU financing and into a loan that the dealership makes money off of - what does your contract say?

Message 14 of 15
guydiver
Established Contributor

When I bought my Ford, I told my salesman(who was also the internet manager)that I was only applying for the best Ford Credit financing rate as quoted, and that I had CU back-up if that did not go through, and I would under no circumstances take any other financing regardless of the rate offered. He said, no problem.  60 seconds later he said, we're good to go.  I asked, what about down payment? He sort of paused, looked at his computer screen, and said "they didn't ask for any".  So in my case, since I qualified for 100% at the manufacturer tier 0 rate, there was no need for them to go any further. I have previously, in one circumstance, handed a salesman a piece of paper stating my financing intentions, what I would and would not authorize, and told him I wasn't going any further until it was signed my the sales manager or finance manager. They didn't give me any problems after that. Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.