Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we apply jointly?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should we apply jointly?

My husband and Ia will be applying for an auto loan of around $15,000 in the coming months. He hass credit score of around 700! The only negative thingis one late payment on a student loan 5-6 years ago.  I am a stay at home mom and have a credit score in the low 600s. I have several negative unpaid accounts in collection from several years ago due to an estranged family member. (Three that are about a thousand dollars each.) 

If we applied jointly at a bank or credit union, how would my history affect getting approval or the interest rate? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should we apply jointly?

If he's in the 700's depending on his debt, there would be no reason to go jointly unless you are just looking for some new positive credit history.  Your credit score and negatives could definitely impact the approval and interest rates. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have to advise that you do not apply jointly. The negatives on your report could affect the approval and interest rates on the car loan. In the mean time, work on getting your credit report cleaned up and by the time you are ready for another vehicle it could be an option. 

Was there a specific reason you wanted to apply jointly?

Message 3 of 5
3darcher2
New Contributor

Have him apply separately..  My wife applied jointly with me as a SAHM and a thin file with 4 small med collections to try to build her credit.  My score was 690.  Instant denial due to her collections, recon failed.  I applied alone a month later.  Approved.

Message 4 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Seperately will probably get you a better interest rate.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.