cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Situation: Trade In Car (Still Owe) Bad or Good Deal????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Situation: Trade In Car (Still Owe) Bad or Good Deal????

Situation:Would this be a smart trade in for the future being that Mercedes holds more value? I should be able to get a good deal with my credit scores correct? I know I will be going upside down a bit Smiley Sad . If they take it for 14....that will leave me about 6 to 7k in the hole to add on to new deal. Could something be worked out? All tips would be welcomed

My (first) FICO SCORE 8 AND (second) FICO AUTO SCORE 8 credit scores:

Trans

Equifax

Equarian

My car:

2011 Camry (Black) XLE (GREAT CONDITION, NO TROUBLES)

53500 Miles

3.5L V6 Navigation Push to start etc

(Still owe 20,737)

Monthly: 349.99 on 72 months

Trade In Value= about 12,800 -14,200

Trying to trade in for

2012 Mercedes Benz E 350 Luxury Class (Black) USED CERTIFIED

38,000 Miles

Price:29,999

Monthly: would come out to possible 440-500 for 72 months

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: Situation: Trade In Car (Still Owe) Bad or Good Deal????

Terrible idea, you'll get caught in the always upside down car loan. Pay off the Camry, and then sell it if you want. Also 72 month finance of a used Merc is insane, something you should rethink.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Don't trade it, at least pay off the negative equity and sell the Camry privately so you get more for it. That way you can get the Mercedes without loading it up with neg equity
Message 3 of 6
Pistons0
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Situation:Would this be a smart trade in for the future being that Mercedes holds more value? I should be able to get a good deal with my credit scores correct? I know I will be going upside down a bit Smiley Sad . If they take it for 14....that will leave me about 6 to 7k in the hole to add on to new deal. Could something be worked out? All tips would be welcomed

My (first) FICO SCORE 8 AND (second) FICO AUTO SCORE 8 credit scores:

Trans

Equifax

Equarian

My car:

2011 Camry (Black) XLE (GREAT CONDITION, NO TROUBLES)

53500 Miles

3.5L V6 Navigation Push to start etc

(Still owe 20,737)

Monthly: 349.99 on 72 months

Trade In Value= about 12,800 -14,200

Trying to trade in for

2012 Mercedes Benz E 350 Luxury Class (Black) USED CERTIFIED

38,000 Miles

Price:29,999

Monthly: would come out to possible 440-500 for 72 months

Well OP, I wouldn't advise towards doing this deal after looking into it a bit just from the high neg. equity, but it is possible! Do you have any cash you are willing to throw down to wash some of the negative equity out?

After looking into both vehicles, I think 13.5k is a good number on trade, the extra money you would get from selling outright would help but not enough to outweigh the headache of the process. Without some more details on the mercedes I did just a vague KBB price up with the most basic trim and options and it still came back at 33K, so the 29,999 price is pretty good !

If you can come up with say 3k to put down, and get the price of the car down to 28K you are looking at 35.5K after rolling the neg equity into the new loan and Taxes & Fees,  the best payment I could come up with was $571/ month at a 5% interest rate, now your scores are great, but without more info about your overall credit profile its hard to give an accurate number, if you could get in with a CU at 3% that would drop it down to $530 a month! So you're in the ball park, but only if you have some cash to throw at the deal! 

Like I said I wouldn't do the deal myself as I have dealt with negative equity in the past and it sucks, if I could go back I would've just bit the bullet and paid off the loan, but if you really want that new Benz, go for it !

P.S.- Have you looking into leasing ? There is another thread out there with a similar situation with a massive amount of negative equity, I beleive he ended up leasing an infiniti, his payment is astronomical ($850) but at the end of his lease he starts off with a clean slate (I wouldnt do this without at least 5k cash to put towards the deal)

Scores 5/1/15: EX 746 TU 743 EQ 746

Capital One QS1 $3,800... Capital One QS $3,050... Amex BCE $2,000... Best Buy Store Card $1,000...Discover IT for students $500
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually the car is a 2012 with 24700 Miles

Message 5 of 6
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

If you just want an upgrade, go for it. From a financial standpoint, its a bad deal. Just pay off the Camry. If you can afford $440-500 on the upgrade, then start paying extra to the principle for the Camry.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.