cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, can a person on long term / permanent disability get a car loan?

tag
MJNTX

So, can a person on long term / permanent disability get a car loan?

I have been on disability now for over 10 years now and I am able to remain on it up until I actually retire from my job of almost 30 years. I am NOT unemployed. 

For those of you who know the "in's and outs of the credit game I am wondering if I can get a car loan with that status?

The main issue comes up with the type of income, at the dealership they of course always ask for your "Gross" income, "before" taxes. Well in my case the status is BOTH, My income is not taxed due to its status.  My pay statements look like any other paystubs. My current car loan was approved 5 years ago with them seeing those statements but I never used the word disability. I have other income as well, but Its royalties, comissions, etc and thus all I get are 1099-Misc form for that and the lenders say they can't accept those as proof of extra income.

The car loan I am currently trying to get approved is at that same quandry, they are perplexed by my number of years on the job, yet I show a "low" income by their standards. I have not told them this is "disability" income because they always want to jump up and say I'm not employed. I still bring in about 3k per month and I am doing fine.

I got a great finance manager on the phone this morning actually, he did tell me that the other issue is "utilization" as I stated in another post I figured that would come up as well.

But the main thing I am asking for now is about the "status" of my income. I appreciate any input you guys may  have.

Any tips?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: So, can a person on long term / permanent disability get a car loan?

@MJNTX wrote:

I have been on disability now for over 10 years now and I am able to remain on it up until I actually retire from my job of almost 30 years. I am NOT unemployed. 

For those of you who know the "in's and outs of the credit game I am wondering if I can get a car loan with that status?

The main issue comes up with the type of income, at the dealership they of course always ask for your "Gross" income, "before" taxes. Well in my case the status is BOTH, My income is not taxed due to its status.  My pay statements look like any other paystubs. My current car loan was approved 5 years ago with them seeing those statements but I never used the word disability. I have other income as well, but Its royalties, comissions, etc and thus all I get are 1099-Misc form for that and the lenders say they can't accept those as proof of extra income.

The car loan I am currently trying to get approved is at that same quandry, they are perplexed by my number of years on the job, yet I show a "low" income by their standards. I have not told them this is "disability" income because they always want to jump up and say I'm not employed. I still bring in about 3k per month and I am doing fine.

I got a great finance manager on the phone this morning actually, he did tell me that the other issue is "utilization" as I stated in another post I figured that would come up as well.

But the main thing I am asking for now is about the "status" of my income. I appreciate any input you guys may  have.

Any tips?

I think the wording is going to keep lots away from posting... I will do what Macy's Manager did to me when I was asking or telling about CLI being HP or SP.

She could not say that it would be a SP though rep and her were saying HP.

In end she said "If that's how it was last time, that's how it will be this time.

If what you did last time worked, I would do it again. They want the sale!

Message 2 of 11
MJNTX

Looks like this must be a "touchy" subject Man Sad  Well thanks for the input anyway. 

Message 3 of 11
FrugalRican
Blogger

What kept me from posting... in all honesty...

Was the distinction from employment and non-employment.

I'm confused, to be honest.

Are you working AND getting money from disability?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

What kept me from posting... in all honesty...

Was the distinction from employment and non-employment.

I'm confused, to be honest.

Are you working AND getting money from disability?

I was thinking what I was reading is something happened on the job, so the job was paying this disability for the rest of the career with them while changing maybe what they did?!

The only reason I read it like that is because I have a friend that worked in government job and back in like 1985 he won a lawsuit and was placed into permanant disability with full salary for the rest of his life... he was not disabled but... that's about as far as my knowledge goes! haha

Message 5 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Heh, wasn't that it was a touchy subject, it's that I really have not much of an idea.

The two usual ways of verifying income are:

- Last two paychecks (W2)

- Tax returns

You stated that the money you receive isn't taxed, is it at least listed on the tax return in any shape, form, or fashion?  If so, just drag down your last two years and that should be more than sufficient (it is for a mortgage, it should be for an auto loan).

Beyond that, about the only thing I could suggest is getting a letter and various other documentation from the institution which distributes your disability money.  

I apologize that I don't have better information for you, it's just a situation I have zero experience with either directly or second-hand; however, there's got to be some way to accomplish it as your situation cannot possibly be unique and if it's been done before, it can be done again.

Actually, what you probably should do: instead of going to a dealer, see about talking directly to the big auto lenders (Toyota Financial Services, GM, etc.) as they're far more likely to have direct experience to be able to help you than we can on this forum, and probably more than the F&I guy at the local dealership too.  Since lenders are the ones that actually underwrite the loan, and they deal with a lot more customers as an institution than any dealership, they'll be better able to help you with exact specifics towards your situation and you just need to meet the standards they require.  It's probably the same across all of them anyway and likely the quickest path to getting things moving forward for you.

        
Message 6 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I come back to if I read correctly you purchaseds car 5 years ago and financed just fine and you said you had been on the disability and such for 10 years.  Are you buying the same brand of car or back at the same dealer?

Are they asking about your income verification or questioning it or are you the only one questioning and worrying so far?

Message 7 of 11
MJNTX

Hello again and thanks to everyone, wow Man Happy

Capital one is the lender who is carrying my current loan. They turned down the latest request just like everyone else. Back when I got this original loan  I was starting from a different place credit wise. My credit was fair at the time, this was JUST before the new credit standards kicked in which kicked my scores back down. I think at the time I was in the mid 500's and Tons of old crap had fallen off my reports. I also had no credit cards at the time so Cap 1 grabbed me up. I was just deciding I wanted to turn things around and strengthen my credit and I felt the car would be a great way to do so, and I also got some credit cards along the way.

My disability payments are paid out by my employer as part of a settlement. 

The lenders are asking about my income, but they are perplexed by the amount not the validity.  My net is the same as my gross since there is no tax taken out, but I think they are just not able to get passed the usual formula and thus they insist there must be money being subtracted from the final number and there is not. So then they say I do not have enough "room" for the new potential car payment.

I have given up for now, thankfully I am not in a position where I MUST get a car right now, the one I have would be considered very nice by most, I just want a newer model. Again after a nice chat with the finance mngr it was clear paying down my credit cards will make a big difference there and even better my scores will be just that much higher as well.  This has all taught me a lot so that's still a perk.

Thanks again to ALL of you for sharing your input/ opinions on this.

Message 8 of 11
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

@MJNTX wrote:

Hello again and thanks to everyone, wow Man Happy

Capital one is the lender who is carrying my current loan. They turned down the latest request just like everyone else. Back when I got this original loan  I was starting from a different place credit wise. My credit was fair at the time, this was JUST before the new credit standards kicked in which kicked my scores back down. I think at the time I was in the mid 500's and Tons of old crap had fallen off my reports. I also had no credit cards at the time so Cap 1 grabbed me up. I was just deciding I wanted to turn things around and strengthen my credit and I felt the car would be a great way to do so, and I also got some credit cards along the way.

My disability payments are paid out by my employer as part of a settlement. 

The lenders are asking about my income, but they are perplexed by the amount not the validity.  My net is the same as my gross since there is no tax taken out, but I think they are just not able to get passed the usual formula and thus they insist there must be money being subtracted from the final number and there is not. So then they say I do not have enough "room" for the new potential car payment.

I have given up for now, thankfully I am not in a position where I MUST get a car right now, the one I have would be considered very nice by most, I just want a newer model. Again after a nice chat with the finance mngr it was clear paying down my credit cards will make a big difference there and even better my scores will be just that much higher as well.  This has all taught me a lot so that's still a perk.

I think if you were not so afraid to tell them, that you would find someone to work with you. Pay down your credit cards and such and then just be honest. I have been on permanent disibility since the end of 2005, and while i have not gotten a new car loan, i did refinance my house and have gotten around 73k in credit lines over 5 credit cards extended to me. I have always when asked told them i am totally disabled, and that i can show proof of income, that it is non-taxable and that i do not file tax returns. By the way, are you just getting the money from the emplyer or from ss disibilty as well?
Message 9 of 11
MJNTX

That is pretty much my plan indeed. My income is all being supplied through my employer.  I have considered another attempt at SSI but my disability plan is so strong, and my benefits are excellent. So I will likely just keep things as they are. Thanks for the input.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.