Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sounds fishy to me

tag
Erin28
New Contributor

Sounds fishy to me

I need some advice. My husband and I traded his truck in about two weeks ago and bought a new car....price of the car itself was 17,900...I begged...and pleaded with them to come down on the price..no go...after all was said and done final price came to 21,500...NOT including our $800 down payment. I wasn't happy at all with this...didn't agree with it...told my husband to do whatever...it's in your name not mine. Today he gets a call from the dealership saying they've moved some numbers around and we have to sign a new contract. Salesman goes to my husband's job for this!!! Turns out...they've reduced the car price to 16k...added on a 2k warranty...told us the bank won't finance it without an extended warranty..car is still under factory warranty!!! I don't want an extended warranty...and frankly..would suit me to give them their car back and go home...what do u guys think?
Slowly, But Surely
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sounds fishy to me

They reduced the loan amount the contract was signed for after two weeks?
Message 2 of 11
Erin28
New Contributor

Loan amount wasn't reduced...it's still the same as the original contract....difference is that they lowered the car price to squeeze in that 2k warranty (it wasn't there before). Make sense? Lol
Slowly, But Surely
Message 3 of 11
Erin28
New Contributor

But yea...all this...2 WEEKS LATER!!!
Slowly, But Surely
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonder who is making money on that extended warranty you probably won't use? Lol
Message 5 of 11
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

So you already signed and were done and they are telling you, you must sign this new contract? What are their penalties for not signing the new contract?  They take the car away?  (That I am guessing you already have the paperwork for since you signed weeks ago)

Im still kind of wondering how they got it approved and then 2 weeks later tell you its not approved?

Sounds like whoever it is just wants their extra bit of money for selling an extended warranty.

I am sure someoneo who knows more about that will chime in at some point.  (weve got quite a few salesmen around here)

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is total BS, the bank won't do the deal because the vehicle is not worth what they sold it to you for and the dealer added a bunch of add ons to make more money off of you.  Now they want to lower the price to get the car financed but want to force you to buy a warranty so they can still make their money.  I would sign the deal for the lower price and agree to the warranty, once the financing goes through cancel the warranty and refinance the car with a credit union.  That will really piss off the dealer because they are getting kick backs all over this deal but all you need to care about is taking care of yourself because the dealer is not dealing in an honest manner.  

Message 7 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

This is total BS, the bank won't do the deal because the vehicle is not worth what they sold it to you for and the dealer added a bunch of add ons to make more money off of you.  Now they want to lower the price to get the car financed but want to force you to buy a warranty so they can still make their money.  I would sign the deal for the lower price and agree to the warranty, once the financing goes through cancel the warranty and refinance the car with a credit union.  That will really piss off the dealer because they are getting kick backs all over this deal but all you need to care about is taking care of yourself because the dealer is not dealing in an honest manner.  

^^^Agree with workingfor850. Make sure you cancel the extended warranty after the financing goes through - you will have to be refunded the cost of this bogus warranty which appears to be $2k. The dealership will lose their huge commission on the warranty and the warranty cost will be credited to your principal balance. Make sure you do it in writing in case they try to wiggle out of cancelling the warranty. Then refi with a CU.  Smiley Happy If you do this quick enough, the dealership will lose their extra commissions on the sale of the vehicle financing to you....Smiley Happy

Note:  OP, you are right, the dealership can not tie in an extended warranty in order to finance you. Even the contract says in writing that the extended warranty is "optional".  I totally believe you that the Finance office made it mandatory. It is one of the most common tricks in the business. The finance person makes huge money by forcing these worthless extended warranties onto buyers. You can only see how good or bad the warranty is by reading the warranty contract and normally the finance person will do anything in their power to not show you the actual warranty contract for which you are paying big bucks. That is the first sign it is a rip off. The only people that benefit from the warranty is the dealership, the warranty company and the finance person.  

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you purchase other products that the finance manager presented?  The reason i ask is because $3,600 in fees seems like a lot.  Or did you have negative equity from the trade in?  Trying to get to the bottom of this story since there seems to be missing information.

Banks will allow the dealership a certain amount of "front end" and back end".  Front end is the vehicle you are purchasing, back end are warranties, rust, dent, GAP.  The dealership probably got a counter offer from the bank saying they would still finance $21,500, but could only finance only $17,000 on the front end (and this may be due to the book value of the car and your creditwortiness) but they would allow $4,500 for back end.  Dollar amounts mentioned are just a guess to show an example.

They cannot force you to buy a warranty.  If you do not want the warranty, don't buy it.  Or negotiate the warranty price and make it a win/win for both sides; you get a super cheap warranty, they get a back end sale.

Just remember, this puts you in a good negotiating position.  The dealer cannot force you to sign, that's illegal.  But the bank will not honor the original contract you signed.  Keep in mind though, if you cannot come to an agreement, the dealer may take back the car.  So don't play hardball to much if you like the car.

Message 9 of 11
Erin28
New Contributor

So...went back to dealership today....as I've already said, car price was dropped to 16,300...2k warranty added...told them we were not buying a warranty...we fussed and fought for about an hour...told them we just wanted our trade back and we'd leave and never come back..guy came in being VERY RUDE...to the point where my husband told him..wait a minute man...that's my wife you're talking to like that..you need to chill out! They wanted to take our down payment for servicing the trade in...ha!!! We ended up getting the car for 16,300...no warranty...I'll be refinancing somewhere else SOON!!!! I'll never set foot back in this dealership again.
Slowly, But Surely
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.