Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy To Pay Off Car Loan Early

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strategy To Pay Off Car Loan Early

I took out a loan for about half the cost of a new car in November, I had the cash but there was $1500 to save if I financed.  The dealership asked me to make 4 payments before paying it off (even with the small amount of interest, I'm still ahead).  So first, is this going to hurt my score?  I dropped from 820 to 810 when I got the loan which seems sort of like a rounding error, I assume I'll drop another 10 when I pay it off because that is how backward this process works.  But would it be better to pay off all at once or pay off in chunks?  Does it make any difference at all?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Strategy To Pay Off Car Loan Early

I'm not sure why the dealer is making you wait 4 month's to pay it off. Maybe that is how long it takes for them to get money from the loan. You can pay a large chunk at the start, then leave a small balance for the remaining payments. This will reduce your interest cost.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange

Message 3 of 6
DueDilligence
Contributor

I agree, strange....... Incentive process.....

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They most likely want you to wait 4 months because they have a kick back from the finace company they get after you keep the loan 4 months. You can refi at any time if it is not in writing that you must wait 4 months to refi.

If you are worried about the effect to your score, I would pay most of it off right away, lowering you proportion of bal to limit and lowering the amount of interest accrued. Then pay of the remander of the loan with 6 payments to maximize your score.

Message 5 of 6
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I took out a loan for about half the cost of a new car in November, I had the cash but there was $1500 to save if I financed.  The dealership asked me to make 4 payments before paying it off (even with the small amount of interest, I'm still ahead).  So first, is this going to hurt my score?  I dropped from 820 to 810 when I got the loan which seems sort of like a rounding error, I assume I'll drop another 10 when I pay it off because that is how backward this process works.  But would it be better to pay off all at once or pay off in chunks?  Does it make any difference at all?

I agree with the above post, the finance guy probably  needs you to hold onto the loan for 3 or 4 months for him to get his commission. If you are able to pay it off all at once, as a banker I would ask you, "why didn't you just pay cash for the car?" I'm guessing you just want to improve your score? If this is the case, at your score 800+, then there is no need to try to improve your score. You will be approved for anything so long as the other factors are good in any credit application. If I were in your shoes, I would just payoff the loan today and not worry about the scores.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.