cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggest a lender for an auto loan for me!

tag
twinRN

Suggest a lender for an auto loan for me!

Hello.

I am looking at purchasing a new vehicle. My TU score is currently 702 and my EQ score is 724, non auto enhanced. I have very little debt, and an income of about $45,000 per year. I am going to need about a $15,000-17,000 loan. I will be trading in my current car, and have a good  amount to put down.

Can anyone suggest some lenders that I might get approved for that would give me a decent rate? I would like to go to the dealer preapproved before I actually purchase something.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Suggest a lender for an auto loan for me!

Hello, and welcome to the FICO Forums.

I would suggest going to your bank to see what they might offer.  You could also consider joining a credit union, because CUs often have better rates.

Message 2 of 7
Joselito
Established Member

I just got a 2011 Toyota Corolla LE for $17500 OTD YESTERDAY. Gave up my 2001 Honda Accord LX with 225k miles for $1500 trade in. I was approved for 0 down with Toyota Financial special of 1.9% for 60 months of new corollas. 650 credit score qualifies you. They pulled EQ 681, EX 690, and TU 691. Income of $2000 monthly took last 2 paychecks, 2 utilities bills to verify residence, proof of full coverage ins in current vehicle, driver license in CA and 2 references with address. Monthly payment $308 (with $28 going to interests)

I can't believe it! Toyota Finance will only profit $850 from interest for the life of the loan.

I called the person in charge of their internet sales. He sent me the link in an email to apply online from home. 30 mins later he called me to tell me i was approved. I drove down tothe dealer to drive test the car (a formality), fill out a paper application (just a procedure), give up pink slip of my vehicle, and sign papers.

It took me longer to drive down there than to sign all papers and drive off in my new car.

If you qualify, and you are looking for an economical vehicle, nothing beats 1.9% for 60 months (5 years) with 0 down. Toyota Financial is THE BEST!

Starting Score: Fico EQ 560 Jan 2008
Past Score: Fico EQ 674 April 2011
Updated Score: Fico EQ 680 May 2011 EQ 691 EX 687 TU 716 lender pulledCurrent Score:Fico EQ 760 Jan 2011 Sooo happy!
Goal Score: 800 For All!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
twinRN

Lel: Thank you for the suggestion. I have thought about joining a CU, but I don't want to start a new checking account or have to automatically pay the payment each month in order to get the best rate. I have looked a little into Wachovia, which is the bank my student loans and checking accounts are at, but am saving the inquiries that will happen when I apply until I get more of an idea of where I might get the best rate for my credit.

Joselito: Congratulation on your new vehicle purchase! That is indeed a wonderful deal. Unfortunately the vehicle I am most leaning towards purchasing is a 2011 Dodge Challenger...quite on the opposite end of the spectrum!

'

Thank you again for your replies.

Message 4 of 7
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@twinRN wrote:

Lel: Thank you for the suggestion. I have thought about joining a CU, but I don't want to start a new checking account or have to automatically pay the payment each month in order to get the best rate. I have looked a little into Wachovia, which is the bank my student loans and checking accounts are at, but am saving the inquiries that will happen when I apply until I get more of an idea of where I might get the best rate for my credit.

Joselito: Congratulation on your new vehicle purchase! That is indeed a wonderful deal. Unfortunately the vehicle I am most leaning towards purchasing is a 2011 Dodge Challenger...quite on the opposite end of the spectrum!

'

Without actually applying, you're probably only going to get a general, nonbinding estimate of what you might qualify for.  Your scores could give you some guidance if you apply for financing at a dealership, if you are able to figure out the different financing tiers.  But this may be complicated in your case, since your non-auto industry scores look like they might straddle a couple tiers.  If the score pulled by the dealer falls below your myFICO-sourced scores, then you could be surprised with a higher-than-expected interest rate.  Also, the interest rate isn't determined solely on your credit score.  Depending on the content of your credit report, you could find yourself pushed in a higher or lower tier.

Furthermore, the tiers for different dealer finance companies - for example, Toyota vs Ford vs Volkswagen - can be different.  Toyota's tier I might be 720+, but Ford's might be 740+ and VW's could be 700+.  To complicate things more, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that these thresholds could theorertically change from week to week as buyer incentives change.

Keep in mind that even if you apply for a loan with Wachovia now, the inquiry won't affect your FICO score if you start shopping around at CUs or at dealers.  Auto loan inquiries are suppressed from scoring for 30 days.  So even though your credit report will indicate that an inquiry was made, it won't affect your score until 30 days have passed.  This prevents a "first hit" effect from loan shopping.  Also, auto loan inquiries that take place within a 14 to 45 day window (depends on the score model) are counted as a single inquiry.  So even if a dealer shops your file out to 50 different finance companies, those 50 inquiries won't have any more effect that a single inquiry (and again, won't affect your score until 30 days are up).

One caveat about inquiries that might be out of your control, however, is that in order for the de-duplication and 30-day suppression to be in effect, the inquiries need to be properly coded as auto loan inquiries.  In my very, very limited experience, when I applied with Toyota Financial, the inquiries were correctly coded as auto loan inquries.  But when I applied with my bank, it appeared to a general inquiry that probably had an immediate effect on my score.

More about inquires: http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/CreditInquiries.aspx

Message 5 of 7
jdxprs1
Frequent Contributor

try capital one auto finance. they are being very aggressive in getting new loans right now. easy approval and very low rates.

Last app 1/2/2017.
In the garden until at least 6/2/2017.
Message 6 of 7
twinRN

Lel: Thank you so much for your useful information. I did apply at Hyundai, and was qualified for their lowest rates, but I don't know how that compares to other companies. They jerked me around so much I left upset, empty handed, and with an inquiry. I don't believe the inquiry affected my score yet. Better apply to a few before they hit me though I guess.

J: I will check out Capital One.

P.S. Hyundai pulled Equifax. FYI for anyone looking for one of those.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.