Reply
Member
IndianaJane
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎10-14-2012
0

Taking car overseas?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever worked with any of the lenders for bad credit auto loans or major lenders and taken a car outside the continental US, particularly to the US Virgin Islands? I'm disabled, will be getting backpay soon and want to get a new car but planning to move to the USVI in a few months. Would buy there but the car I want isn't available. Anyone (non-military) ever have any success with this? Or denials? 


Starting Score: EQ 532
Current Score: 532
Goal Score: 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
Watchmann
Posts: 989
Registered: ‎05-14-2008
0

Re: Taking car overseas?

[ Edited ]

Most lenders won't let you take a car out of the country with a lien against it, some will, but most won't.   And you are aware that the USVI drives on the LEFT which makes a US spec car harder to use in the cramped islands.  And your warranty probably won't be any good in the VI.  I'd think twice about it.

Member
IndianaJane
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎10-14-2012
0

Re: Taking car overseas?

Hi, thanks for reply. 

 

Yes, am well aware they drive on the left, but unlike UK I believe they drive left-hand drive cars as in the BVIs. I've driven in all types of cars and situations, and am quite used to it. I'm buying a small car, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

 

As you quite rightly point out, the USVIs are part of the US, and I'll need lender's approval to take there...which is why I asked the question WHICH ONES do? I'll get lender's approval, so warranty will remain in effect. I'm not concerned about that. I'd just like to know if anyone can say which lenders will allow it?


Starting Score: EQ 532
Current Score: 532
Goal Score: 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
Watchmann
Posts: 989
Registered: ‎05-14-2008
0

Re: Taking car overseas?


IndianaJane wrote:

Hi, thanks for reply. 

 

Yes, am well aware they drive on the left, but unlike UK I believe they drive left-hand drive cars as in the BVIs. I've driven in all types of cars and situations, and am quite used to it. I'm buying a small car, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

 

As you quite rightly point out, the USVIs are part of the US, and I'll need lender's approval to take there...which is why I asked the question WHICH ONES do? I'll get lender's approval, so warranty will remain in effect. I'm not concerned about that. I'd just like to know if anyone can say which lenders will allow it?


You are correct, I do remember US spec cars (left hand drive) being driven there.  No, I don't know which lenders would allow you to take it out of the country, you'll have to ask at time of application which will be a hassle.  Sorry. 

 

I would double check to confirm if a car bought in the US will still have a valid warranty if taken to the VI.  Many US sold cars will not have a valid warranty if exported to Hawaii because Hawaii is serviced by different companies, same may be true for the VI. 

Established Contributor
ccnewcc
Posts: 560
Registered: ‎09-29-2012
0

Re: Taking car overseas?

Not sure.

 

I would be willing to bet tho, that buying a car from the mainland is cheaper than in the VI.

 

 

But to ship your car from the mainland to the VI is probably a couple grand or so.

 

 

Maybe buying a car there (even tho its not the one you want) would be better financially.

 

And if there are any issues with mainland lenders and insurancers, then VI car purchase might be better optition.

Member
IndianaJane
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎10-14-2012
0

Re: Taking car overseas?


True, you raise excellent points. Shipping will be at least $1500. Unfortunately, the car I want isn't offered for sale there. :smileysad: having a think about it all. 

 


Starting Score: EQ 532
Current Score: 532
Goal Score: 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
awal
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎10-25-2010
0

Re: Taking car overseas?

[ Edited ]

IndianaJane wrote:

True, you raise excellent points. Shipping will be at least $1500. Unfortunately, the car I want isn't offered for sale there. :smileysad: having a think about it all. 

 


What car are you looking to purchase?

 

Also, have you considered shipping your car from Puerto Rico instead of mainland US?


Starting Scores: 667 EQ 09/2013 | 682 TU08 01/2014 | 685 EX 03/2013(via AMEX App)
Current Scores: 667 EQ 09/2013 | 680 TU08 12/2014 | 689 EX 06/2014(via AMEX CLI)

AMEX BCE $12.3K | AMEX Zync NPSL | Cap1 Quicksilver MC $3.5K | NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $20K
NFCU NavChek $15K | Target Visa $5K | Comenity VS $2.6K | Walmart $4.5K
Regular Contributor
awal
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎10-25-2010
0

Re: Taking car overseas?


Watchmann wrote:

IndianaJane wrote:

Hi, thanks for reply. 

 

Yes, am well aware they drive on the left, but unlike UK I believe they drive left-hand drive cars as in the BVIs. I've driven in all types of cars and situations, and am quite used to it. I'm buying a small car, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

 

As you quite rightly point out, the USVIs are part of the US, and I'll need lender's approval to take there...which is why I asked the question WHICH ONES do? I'll get lender's approval, so warranty will remain in effect. I'm not concerned about that. I'd just like to know if anyone can say which lenders will allow it?


You are correct, I do remember US spec cars (left hand drive) being driven there.  No, I don't know which lenders would allow you to take it out of the country, you'll have to ask at time of application which will be a hassle.  Sorry. 

 

I would double check to confirm if a car bought in the US will still have a valid warranty if taken to the VI.  Many US sold cars will not have a valid warranty if exported to Hawaii because Hawaii is serviced by different companies, same may be true for the VI. 


I lived in the USVI for almost 5 years, US spec cars (left side steering wheel) are the norm, at least in St Croix.

 


Starting Scores: 667 EQ 09/2013 | 682 TU08 01/2014 | 685 EX 03/2013(via AMEX App)
Current Scores: 667 EQ 09/2013 | 680 TU08 12/2014 | 689 EX 06/2014(via AMEX CLI)

AMEX BCE $12.3K | AMEX Zync NPSL | Cap1 Quicksilver MC $3.5K | NFCU Visa Signature cashRewards $20K
NFCU NavChek $15K | Target Visa $5K | Comenity VS $2.6K | Walmart $4.5K
Member
IndianaJane
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎10-14-2012
0

Re: Taking car overseas?

All good info! Just FYI, talked to Roadloans (Santander). They said no problem taking a car to the USVIs.


Starting Score: EQ 532
Current Score: 532
Goal Score: 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}