Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tell me about DCU

tag
Girac
Regular Contributor

Tell me about DCU

I have been reading the threads about how good DCU is, it looks like DCU is a credit union. What is required to get an auto loan through them? Can I call them and have them do a pre-approval?

I am hesitant to get a hrds pull as I just had several show up from a move and new HSA account being opened.

My scores are approaching 700 after a long recovery.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Tell me about DCU

@Girac wrote:

I have been reading the threads about how good DCU is, it looks like DCU is a credit union. What is required to get an auto loan through them? Can I call them and have them do a pre-approval?

I am hesitant to get a hrds pull as I just had several show up from a move and new HSA account being opened.

My scores are approaching 700 after a long recovery.

DCU is a CU and as the numerous threads have commented on they provide auto loans with the most competitive rate requiring a FICO 04 of 675.  Embers hip is required and they pull EQ for both -read 2 separate HPs. 

I would suggest waiting if you do not want any HPs but if your scores are high enough then it is a good CU for auto loans

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My opinion of DCU is this.  They are hard to do business with.  Red tape at every turn.  I've had my account there over a year and I applied to move my auto loan over and they told me no.  I also applied for their credit card and they told me no.  I have 0 credit card debt.  I pay in full each month.  My auto loans are 2 years ahead of schedule.  I usually double or triple the amount I pay each month.  

I have a large amount in savings with DCU and they still tell me no.  I have a little over $211k in my savings, on deposit with them.  

So some report good things, but I've had noting but hard times with DCU.  

Message 3 of 9
EddieK
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My opinion of DCU is this.  They are hard to do business with.  Red tape at every turn.  I've had my account there over a year and I applied to move my auto loan over and they told me no.  I also applied for their credit card and they told me no.  I have 0 credit card debt.  I pay in full each month.  My auto loans are 2 years ahead of schedule.  I usually double or triple the amount I pay each month.  

I have a large amount in savings with DCU and they still tell me no.  I have a little over $211k in my savings, on deposit with them.  

Ok...good stuff.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 4 of 9
Ragelog
Established Contributor

I have nothing but great things to say about DCU I've refinanced a vehicle, purchased a vehicle and received a DCU platinum card. I was denied the card when I first asked during the refinanced but six months later on the vehicle purchase it was approved with the same pull. I still don't have perfect credit I have a 5 year old paid judgement, tax lien and charged off auto loan.

They are a little old fashioned but you get answers quick over the phone or via chat. I have my direct deposit sent to them as well but only a little in savings.
EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 5 of 9
thetruthsince82
Established Member

I agree, I have nothing but GREAT things to say about DCU. I have checking, savings, personal loan, credit card, and car financing with them! They are really pleasant and easy to deal with. I believe you get better deals when you build a relationship with them (meaning more than one product), and they do ask for salary verfications. I got all of these products when my score was about 652. They are really straightforward! I go here for all of my banking needs. Let me know if you have any specific questions. 

Starting Score: 549 8/2012
Current Score: 680 5/2014
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

DCU refinanced our 14.79% rate from NFCU to 1.99%. This saved us $150/month.

It was an easy process IMO.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Entitlement.

They are a business. They don't have to do business with you. That is their choice. If you don't like the way they do business, then move your money and business elsewhere. It's simple.

There is plenty of people that will vouch for DCU. YMMV as always but don't think for one minute that they have to do business with you. They could close all your accounts tomorrow, wait 30-days to send you a check for your money and there is 0 that you can do about it. It's their choice, not yours. Be thankful, not entitled.

/endrant

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 8 of 9
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I also have nothing to say but good about DCU. Just refinanced my cars at 1.49% with them (2) and received a Platinum Visa with a 5k limit. They pulled my score at a 676, but on the same report I also had 58 inquiries and one unpaid collection in the amount of $1200 from 2013. The approval process wa super fast. About 5 minutes over the phone. The Visa took some talking due to the inquiries and 5-6 new accounts in January, but they offered me 5k @ 11.5% which I was more than happy with. They said that the limit would have been much higher had I not had all the new accounts and inquiries. As I said 5k is more than enough as I don't carry balances and don't need to ever spend that much on a credit card. I promise you they are great, from what I've seen. I've also has 3 friends, yes 3, refinance with them since last week with scores from low 600s to 700.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.