Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Credit and trying to get an auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Terrible Credit and trying to get an auto loan

Well if you asked me a month ago if I would be trying to get me a new car i would laugh and say not anytime soon. Well unfortunately i was involved in an car accident which totaled my car. My car has been paid in full by the insurance company and they gave me $3700.00 check for the remaining balance of what they owed me out of the car. My score was in the mid 600's last year but I was injured and ended up getting three credit cards charged off which I am paying all three now each month with a collector. So basically I've found a few places that say bad credit okay, bankruptcy okay type dealerships but they are not buy here pay here places. Well I have 3700 to put down for a 13k car what are my chances? Is 3700 a sufficient enough down-payment on a 13k car?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Terrible Credit and trying to get an auto loan

What type of dealer is it? An actual dealer or small car lot? Be careful with them advertising bad credit okay cause they prey on people with bad credit by charging alot of interest
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I don't post much here, but had to respond to your situation:  Don't get into debt with a new or used car payment.  You have just come through an accident that injured you both physically and financially.  It sounds like you are recovering physically now....but not so much on the financial front.  IMHO, it would benefit you the most to get yourself situated financially before you go out to buy another vehicle on payments. See if you can find a beater for $2500 or less and keep the rest of the $$ in the bank to get back on your feet. You will need the savings anyway to make sure you can keep the car in running condition. The last thing you need right now are monthly payments on a depreciating "asset".

Once you have paid off the debt in collections and re-established your credit and have sufficient emergency savings, then consider purchasing a used vehicle with small payments. IME most people sink themselves with auto payments. You will be surprised at how much you can save without having the monthly payment. In fact, as an experiment, make a "car payment" into your savings every month until you have enough to purchase a car with a huge downpayment or even in cash. Believe me, while you are doing this invisible payment, you will be thankful that it is not a payment to a lender for interest on an upside down vehicle. Good luck!Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

You can get a pretty decent used car for 3700.00.  Go Craigslist - More for your money from individuals thank car lots.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.