Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank Goodness

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Thank Goodness

^^^This is so true!  I keep a pretty clean car (most of the time) but when I get that urge to look at a vehicle replacement I spring for the full detail and am once again happy with my car Smiley Happy

I too had a black car ...once.  It was great when it was all buffed up and detailed, but I'm a Realtor and spend a lot of time on the road.  It needed lots of detailing....

Message 11 of 20
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I have a local guy that does amazing work for 120 (plus 30 tip) and my black accord has never looked better. No more paint swirls for sure.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 12 of 20
turbine
Valued Member

I wish I gould find a decent shop that would do a solid detail at that price. I went to two shops, one quoted me $650 without a protectant and the other was $900 after everything was said and done (protectant included).
Message 13 of 20
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@turbine wrote:
I wish I gould find a decent shop that would do a solid detail at that price. I went to two shops, one quoted me $650 without a protectant and the other was $900 after everything was said and done (protectant included).

For a detail? Or for a paint job?

I never heard of such high prices for a detail job. Smiley Sad

We have detailers everywhere here...very competitive in our area. $100-$125 is normal. If you go an a certain day, they will give a discount. Even the mobil detailers that come to the office while you work are that range or even a little bit less with negotiating.

Message 14 of 20
turbine
Valued Member

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@turbine wrote:

For a detail? Or for a paint job?

I never heard of such high prices for a detail job. Smiley Sad

We have detailers everywhere here...very competitive in our area. $100-$125 is normal. If you go an a certain day, they will give a discount. Even the mobil detailers that come to the office while you work are that range or even a little bit less with negotiating.

Just a detail - which would consist of a 3 stage paint correction (removing swirls/light scratches/etc). I should probably look into mobile detailers as well. 

Message 15 of 20
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

That's alot for detailing, defiantly look into mobiles.

While I think a Corolla anything but maybe the XRS is about as exciting as dish water and apparently you felt the same way as you were looking at sports cars. If you really want a Miata, I would suggest going that route and here's why.

They can pick up fairly cheap used, I like the 2nd gen because the 1.8L has more tuning options. I would just save up the cash and buy one in good condition. As long as it's been well maintained, no major issues should pop up. You could get an automatic with almost certainty it was never driven hard Smiley Happy

But who buys a sports car with an autotragic??

I would highly recommend joining one or two of the most popular Miata forums and ask what you should look out for.

Alternatively if you aren't too upside-down in your Corolla you could get a hot-hatch like the Fiesta ST and not pay much more a month.

I don't mind spending $3-5K on a Miata if it's not my primary mode of transportation. If you add a turbo kit or if you can get one of twin screw supercharger kits floating around the internet, then at some point the engine might need some rings and/or bearings. But other than that, it's a hoot to drive with 130hp, it's perma-grin with about 250hp.

Message 16 of 20
turbine
Valued Member

@Dj4Money wrote:

That's alot for detailing, defiantly look into mobiles.

While I think a Corolla anything but maybe the XRS is about as exciting as dish water and apparently you felt the same way as you were looking at sports cars. If you really want a Miata, I would suggest going that route and here's why.

They can pick up fairly cheap used, I like the 2nd gen because the 1.8L has more tuning options. I would just save up the cash and buy one in good condition. As long as it's been well maintained, no major issues should pop up. You could get an automatic with almost certainty it was never driven hard Smiley Happy But who buys a sports car with an autotragic??

I would highly recommend joining one or two of the most popular Miata forums and ask what you should look out for.

Attentively if you aren't too upside-down in your Corolla you could get a hot-hatch like the Fiesta ST and not pay much more a month.

I don't mind spending $3-5K on a Miata if it's not my primary mode of transportation. If you add a turbo kit or if you can get one of twin screw supercharger kits floating around the internet, then at some point the engine might need some rings and/or bearings. But other than that, it's a hoot to drive with 130hp, it's perma-grin with about 250hp.

At this point, having two cars is not an option so I would have to make the Miata my daily. Unfortunately for me, around here a good condition Miata runs around $6-10k - unless you're lucky enough to find a seller who doesn't increase the price just due to it being a sought after drift/autocross toy. I don't want to get into having a bigger car payment or bigger loan when I'm trying to save as much as possible. I will look into mobile detailers and see what they quote me.  

Message 17 of 20
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Have the blue book value at around $10,3xx. You say you owe just over 9K? Is that your ten day? You already have a low interest rate, that would likely happen again with a new loan.

There a few used Fiesta ST's out there. For the price of 2014/2015 Fiesta ST with standard equipment (400A), you can get a used 2014 Fiesta ST loaded (MyFordTouch Navigation, Recaro Seats, Sunroof) for the same price, around $19K.

Take your 5K down and your looking at $15-16K after T,T & L; it wouldn't be too bad since I don't know how much you financed to get the Corolla, but it looks to me it would be about the same.

If you got a new one, True Car has package 400A going for $19,910 locally here (Los Angeles area). You can get 0% for 72 months + $500 cash back. Or you can take $1,500.

These aren't as aggressive as they were last month ($1,500 cash back + $1,000 trade-in credit on '14 Fiestas).

Something to think about.

Message 18 of 20
turbine
Valued Member

I see the point you're trying to carry over but at the same time, I'm not a fan of domestic cars in general and much rather stick to a jdm sedan/coupe. I originally financed the loan for 18k in 2013.
Message 19 of 20
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

@turbine wrote:
I see the point you're trying to carry over but at the same time, I'm not a fan of domestic cars in general and much rather stick to a jdm sedan/coupe. I originally financed the loan for 18k in 2013.

I am just trying to understand your logic, bare with me.

You bought a 2012 Toyota Corolla and you clearly miss performance, as the S looks sporty but isn't. Wasn't a 2012 Honda Civic Si sedan the same price used? Wasn't a Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 available for the same price?

Granted you would have to search hard and possibly accept a car with higher mileage but as you said your a fan of JDM cars so having higher mileage shouldn't be a concern right?

I also think Mazda is still ahead of Toyota in resale value. 

Now you want to trade your car away for no payment and less reliability and your considering 2 seat sports cars when your life could be dramatically different in four-five years?

You even got a great interest rate you could have had a "performance" car it seems to me, especially if you had to borrow $18K, I know you could have gotten either one of the used cars I just mentioned for that.

If you got $10K for your trade, it seems to me you could get 100% financing at the same rate, borrow $15-16K get a Mazdaspeed3 or Civic Si Mugen Sedan for that amount in very good condition and still come up with a lower payment than you have today.

The only downside is you would have to pay an additional two years. 

Now if your totally embracing Dave Ramsey, then he would suggest you sell the car while you can get something for it. Take your $3.5K and get a beater but have a plan; save your current car payment for a year or two. Take that 5K and a year's worth of payments (assume $250 a month = $3,000) for a total of $8,000 and get your next car. 

Rinse and Repeat until you get the car you want.

At about $14K you will start getting into the S2000's in mint condition. Using this tactic you can get your mint condition S2000 in about two years. 

But honestly I would consider the Mazadaspeed or Civic Si, they are fast, fun to drive and you can grow into them. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.