Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin file, first-time buyer, need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thin file, first-time buyer, need advice

Hi, all! So, I recently began my credit journey in early May. Before that, I had a couple of small student loans since 2011. Now I have 3 credit cards. In those 7 months, my available credit has grown from $2500 to $5500 (without asking, I might add) which is appropriate for my monthly income of ~$2000 (I'm a waitress.) I've been paying in full, on time, and keeping utilization at around 10%. I have to call MyFico to confirm my identity, because I think I purchased a report when I was under fraud alert, which I will do tomorrow. But according to all my "FAKO" resources (CK, Cap1, Walmart,) my score has been rising steadily. Those scores range from 699 to 720, so I figure I must at least have okay or average credit, although my file is very new and thin.

I've never financed a vehicle, and wanted to wait until next Spring when I'd have a bit more history and a more sizeable down payment. However, my junker car that was handed down to me 5 years ago is getting very expensive to repair and it's become a pretty big safety hazard (I have an expensive defect that is known to cause sudden fires and my airbags don't work.) With a snowy winter ahead of me, I think now's the time. My reasoning for jumping in now rather than buying another beater is the cost of obtaining and maintaining the beater would equal or exceed the extra interest I'd pay on a subpar loan. And I'm not sure if the difference between a thin file and a less-than-but-still thin file would be so vast, although the extra money from my tax return would be a boon. Still, I've got to start somewhere.

I'm more than prepared to handle the monthly payment, and am looking for a used, low-mileage vehicle around $15,000 and can pay up to $500 a month, so a 36-48 mo plan at 10% seems reasonable. I need to shop around and see if I can even get that rate, or better. I have $1500 available for down, but have no interest in trading in my nasty car (don't even think they'd want it.) I've already found some models I'm interested in, so I at least don't need to worry about that. I know I'm prepared because I've actually been spending an average of ~$400 a month on repairs and fluid refills (repairing leaks is like those cartoons where someone's constantly plugging new holes on a sinking ship) over the course of 5 years. Also, I only get 20 MPG and fill a full tank a week. The car I'm looking at gets 40 MPG. Of course, I realize repairs will still be an expense on a newer car, but the difference between a 240,000 mile vehicle with worn parts and a 10,000 mile vehicle should be significant, especially if the latter car is still under manufacturer warranty.

My dad is willing to cosign, but his credit is poor. He has the advantage of being old and having more money, but has a very checkered past, credit-wise. He's rebuilding, but not perfect. Needless to say, he knows next to nothing about credit. He knows absolutely nothing about obtaining a loan outside of the dealership's financial office. So I figured I'd turn to this knowlegeable community for advice.

I do want to shop around, but I'm not even sure where to start, other than my bank (PNC,) although I'm not sure if targeting a lender that doesn't specialize in first-time loans would be successful. I'll still try, but I need other options. I don't belong to a credit union, and there are none in my area that are open to the general public.

I'm also a little confused as to how these things even work. Do I apply for an offer, they give me an offer, then I bring that documentation to the dealership? Is it not finalized until I choose the offer that's right for me? Like, so I can apply for a bunch of loans, but they won't be extended to me automatically, so I can choose which terms are most favorable (if I even qualify for anything.)

I'd also like to know what lenders and types of things I should avoid in this process.

Sorry for all the backstory. I don't know why I went into so much detail; I suppose it's to aid with self-reflection in this important event, haha. I just feel like I need a little guidance and education. If anyone has any resources or advice that will be useful to me, please share.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thin file, first-time buyer, need advice

My first piece of advice is to join a credit union, many here join DCU.  Credit unions offer the best rates for car financing for the vast majority of situations.  Dealerships love to finance first time buyers because they get a crack at marking up their APR for the "service" they have provided you.  Modern cars are amazingly reliable these days so going with something newer will most likely reduce or eliminate the cycle of having to pay for expensive repairs.  For your car shopping if you have a local Carmax they are really easy to deal with and have a great variety.  There are good dealerships around but be patient, the first time buying a nice car is really emotional and the sales folks are very effective at getting you to sign that day, just remember that there are plenty of cars available and a deal that is good today is good tomorrow.  I have bought over a dozen cars and I still get uptight.  Best of luck.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your advice. I will look into DCU, but I don't know much about it. That seems like a fine place to start, however.

I just finally got my FICO scores after confirming my identity. 666 EQ, 720 TU, 734 EX. The auto score is just a couple points lower for each. EQ is so low because I have a paid collection from going to the ER right after I turned 18... I was unemployed and confused about adult stuff, and it doesn't really represent my situation (I mean, I am confused about adult stuff, but I know how to and can pay bills.) Also, I don't know why, but only that report says I have 5 accounts with open balances. So I'd basically be looking for someone who pulls TU or EX, lol.

Looks like DCU favors EQ.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some local credit unions are also excellent sources for auto loans. My regular credit union is currently offering 1.99 with a .25% deduction for auto pay from a savings or checking account and the credit union down the street from me is sitting at 2.29 (I don't have an account with them but use them frequently for shared branching so I see their rate board frequently.) Plus using a local allows you to sit down with their loan officer whichmay be beneficial since you have no prior auto history. Whatever you do I would find someone to approve you, then go shopping. If you think the dealer may be able to beat what you got from whoever your prequal is thru let them run your credit, if not write the check and buy the car.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No credit unions are near me besides NFCU and some educational worker credit union. I kind of live in the middle of nowhere (hence the need for an automobile!) I've begun applying to local banks. The only thing really concerning me at this point is income verification. As a waitress, I work off tips. In my restaurant, a certain precentage of cash sales is automatically claimed while clocking out. That means cash tips on credit card payments are not officially accounted for. I can prove my income by monthly spending on my bank statements (and even that doesn't account for cash purchases,) but I don't know if that's exactly orthodox. Also, one lender required I state my income and NOT include tips (and claim them in the "other income" area.) Therefore, I had to put $4000 as my annual income, due to my hourly rate. Yikes.

I wish I could just tell the lenders that I can make my monthly payment in one weekend and everything will be okay. :/

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an update, I've been applying to pretty much anything that seems legit. Got declined for mostly everything, mostly income-related issues, but I'm not taking it personally. PNC gave me the 3-5 day email, which is possibly a "no," but I've gotten 2/3 of my credit cards that way, so who knows.

I did apply for a loan through DCU, but didn't create an account. I was "pre-qualified" for 3.990% for 48 mos. I'm sitting at the screen that says "accept rate," and I'm not sure what that means. Is that going to bind me somehow? It says I need to submit my most recent paystub, which also concerns me. I took a few days off last week, and my paycheck doesn't reflect my estimated gross income. Most places have requested to see the most recent TWO stubs, which, when averaged, do reflect my claimed income. Oh, well.

Also, I decided to try Lending Tree, despite the mixed reviews. I figured I'd be taking quite a few pulls anyway, and it seemed like a decent way to explore options. I got an offer from Up2Drive at 3.9% for 48 months. I got an email saying I was approved, and needed to call a number.

I feel like I've made progress, but I also have this gut feeling that I'm doing something wrong. Yet, as I head for work in my moldy car, SRS light flashing, I know I'm at least trying to do something good!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm all too familiar with your predicament as I bartend for most of my provable income...DCU is realatively easy to get ahold of by phone. I'm sure you can workon 2 or 4 paystubs to prove "all"of your income Smiley LOL And familiar with the living in the middle of nowhere too.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe we work together! Haha! That's actually a good idea. I hadn't considered that they might be flexible. Even with the low paycheck, making $380 in a 12 hour week should at least seem reasonable. xD My dad suggested I just submit the previous paystub, since I do get "paid" weekly (the quotes you should understand as a tipped worker,) which I think could also work.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.