Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about refinancing to decrease DTI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thinking about refinancing to decrease DTI

Matter of fact, it just came to me today to do this. Just purchased a 2009 Yukon in November. My payment is $463 mo. at 9%.  We are currently in the process of selling some land, so if everything works out in the next 2-3 weeks, I'd like to pay $10,000 on it, which brings it down to around $15,000 and refinance this for a much smaller monthly payment, which would significantly decrease my DTI. My credit cards are all paid up except one. Is it too soon to go for a refinance after 4 months? March would be earliest to start on this. Also, my Auto scores are 605, 621, 652 BEFORE my cards were paid off. MyFICO 8 scores are increasing around 10-13 points apiece with each card reporting. I have 3 more to go this month to report so that could be another 20-30 point increase by the end of the month. So I expect those scores to increase as well if I order another 3B report before refinancing. 

Does this sound good?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Thinking about refinancing to decrease DTI

Sounds like an excellent plan! No, it isn't too early to refinance especially since you are putting down a large amount to refinance a smaller principal and you are increasing your scores. Are you planning to go through a credit union for your refi?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question! I have no idea who to try as of yet since I just thought of this yesterday. Do you have any idea what score I should shoot for or are those scores pretty good already to go for a refinance? I'm meaning the Auto Scores? Or do Auto Lenders pull the Fico 8 scores?

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would join DCU and apply there.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU? What is that? We are with Jax Federal which is a Credit Union but we don't do much activity with them account wise. Not sure if that is a factor in getting approved. 

Message 5 of 8
undrtkr65
Frequent Contributor

DCU is digital federal credit union. I got approved through them to refinance my car at 6.24 for up to 60 months but I can't qualify for membership due to my chexsystems report. Darn chexsystems. I also got approved through a local credit union for 8.99 for 48 months. I already have a membership through them. When DCU pulled my credit they came back with 630 score but when local credit union pulled a week later came back with 589. The only thing changed was my installment loan updated to paid. That's a huge drop in my score in a weeks time. Both pulled Equifax. Good luck on yours.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dcu uses eq5, 677 got me 2.74 with them, 700 gets you 2.24 and 730 gets you 1.99. With your installment uti shifting your scores should skyrocket quite a bit.
Anyone can join with a $10 donation. I had a 180 day late payment 2 years ago to the day of my app with dcu.
Applied later in the day, approved the next morning with a 1minute phone call, instant membership opening for their checking, I'm one of the fortunate ones who didn't have to verify anything. They seem great and helped me get a great deal on an FRS.

Coupe things, your fico5 is what matters for dcu of you go that route(I recommend it). 66?% I think is what the aggregate uti breakpoint is where you get a boost(this is a moot point if the payment on the car doesn't shift much because of a mortgage).
And yes you can refinance after 1 day, 10 days, 2 years, 2 days. Whenever. =) whatever the right time is for you
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kuma that's excellent knowing they use Equ.  myFICO5 with them is the 621 before the pay downs, so hopefully I will see a nice 20-30 point boost on that by March 3rd. Then I'll see what the Bank needs me to do, but I'm sure I'll need to refinance. And a 2.7% is really nice if I can get that. That's exactly the kind of rate I'm looking for lol  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.